bendy

Steering rack seal kit

Hi All,

I am trying to track down a seal kit for my steering rack. I am not sure if there were 2 types or racks used or if my car has the wrong one in it but the seal kit I got the other day has 2 x identical seals for the inner and outer seal on the rack (see the 2 seals with the green teflon insert just below the gaiter clips) -

s-l1600.jpg

however my rack has 2 pieces on the outer seal - the part that the locking wire goes into which retains a second brass bush with a seal in it - this seal is different to the inner seal. Looking at some pictures online, it looks like the seal in the middle here - 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSEfGEYOZsRJJXINAU63Y

Unfortunately, when I go the GG's site, I get the first image with 2 identical seals and cant find a kit with the 2 different seals. 

Also, does anyone know what the gasket is for? I cant find anything on my rack that requires a gasket let alone one that looks like that.

Cheers,

Ben

For the record, the manual shows the outer retaining block which holds the locking wire and also has an integrated seal (see attached at "K")- 

However my rack has 2 pieces here, one being the outer steel bush (no bearing surface or seal, just the lock wire) and then a secondary bush with bronze bearing surface and seal (and the seal is different to the inner seal at "L")

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 10.03.15 AM.png

Its a TRW rack and lots of the parts are interchangeable with other TRW racks on other cars from that era. Ford did sell a rebuild kit, I rebuilt a 3dr and 4x4 one years ago but my memory is hazy.

The cosworth racks have a lockstop which i think is K to limit travel, sounds like your may be a non cosworth PAS rack. Count the turns lock to lock that will tell you

1 hour ago, PAUL S said:

Its a TRW rack and lots of the parts are interchangeable with other TRW racks on other cars from that era. Ford did sell a rebuild kit, I rebuilt a 3dr and 4x4 one years ago but my memory is hazy.

The cosworth racks have a lockstop which i think is K to limit travel, sounds like your may be a non cosworth PAS rack. Count the turns lock to lock that will tell you

It sounds like mine does have the lockstop as it has both K and another piece that is about the same size as K inboard of it - it is just that the seal goes into the extra piece not pictured and the seal is different to that pictured (and supplied in the kit I go and can find) - I will get pictures in the next couple of days. 

I counted the turns the other day and I counted what I thought was 3 but it was a bit of a stretch for 3 so probably around 2.8 which I believe is correct for a 3dr?

Just one other thing of note - whilst TRW racks might be common where you are, they are not that common half way around the other side of the world so is not like I can ru down to the local auto shop and grab the seals :)

I think the 3dr was 2.3 turns and other sierra of that era were more like 2.9 so it may not be a cossie spec rack

Trw racks were used on lots of euro cars so Volvo/bmw etc kits may be easier to find by you.

I have a 355 Ferrari trw rack here and the basic parts look very similar to the sierra one, apart from the main body of course.

No, 2wd saff and 3dr were the same rack, only the very early pre production 3drs had a slightly different one.

Up until very recently I had a tin full of bits from two stripped 3dr racks but I gave it all to AnyPen on his last visit to pick up some bits

Actually look what I found today when having a rummage. These were the parts I replaced with the rebuild kit all those years ago.

Which of these bits do you mean? I can then taken a closer photo of it

20160923_174000.jpg

Ah ok, well the one furthest left has the yellow edged seal in it and the other one a blue edged seal. These look like the ones in the GGR pic with only 3 seals shown

Now this pic of mine is a mix of 2wd and 4x4 bits so not sure which came from which.

From memory one is deep into the rack body and I had to drift it out and the other was on the pinion side so much easier to remove

I had another look today, the brass bush in the blue one is slightly thicker, so the lip seals may be match graded corresponding to the actual thickness of the rack when assembled originally, hence the difference in colour.

On 9/25/2016 at 0:21 AM, PAUL S said:

Apart from the colour of the seal they are both identical

20160924_104235.jpg

Them's is the ones - I need to get one of those seals as it looks like mine is leaking - any ideas where from? I am guessing they are not the type of thing I can go down to my local bearing and seal shop and pick one up.

Also interesting that that complete assembly is not shown in the workshop manual.