bendy

TLR3/4

Just from memory here, didn't the B&H team just run 1 car (in Freeport livery) in the entire 88 season and Bathurst of that year? I believe they took 2 cars to Bathurst (in B&H livery), but one was as a spare and never raced. That might explain the lack of a 88 CAMS sticker and logbook entries?

Would be awsome if you are in the position to buy the car back ;)

1 minute ago, RSRoy said:

Just from memory here, didn't the B&H team just run 1 car (in Freeport livery) in the entire 88 season and Bathurst of that year? I believe they took 2 cars to Bathurst (in B&H livery), but one was as a spare and never raced. That might explain the lack of a 88 CAMS sticker and logbook entries?

That was my thinking but you would think that the spare car had to have been log booked and cams approved etc but I do know of a few cases where log book and car association was a little bit "elastic" back then with log books and car numbers etc changing between cars - you would think that the stewards would notice if you handed in a log book for a right hand drive car and presented a left hand drive car for scrutineering though . . .

I have just been looking through some pictures of TLR5 which was a locally built car and can see a lot of similarities between it and this car. 

In this pic, you can see the header tank is the same  although the front section of the cage has evolved (this is a later car) - 

_MG_9157SIZED.jpg

And here you can see the similar gauge layout as well as the brake bias adjuster - 

_MG_9116.jpg

The cage is very similar however you once again can see a it has evolved a bit in the later car but the similar bits are once again the gauge layout, the throttle pedal / base plate and the big one, the switch / fuse block - 

_MG_9127SIZED.jpg

_MG_9094SIZED.jpg

The fuse block is the big one for me, it seems to be very unique to these locally built TLR cars

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 7:31 AM, bendy said:

I am only suggesting it is a wolf built car ( as opposed to having some wolf bits) because that is the history of the car as i know it. This is based on the information that was provided to me when I purchased the car some 20 odd years ago from the person i purchased it from who not only said to me but also quoted in a number of public interviews 20 odd years ago that my old car was an ex TLR car that was purchased from Wolf Racing.

With some of the less than reputable information that is available today that is being seen through foggy glasses almost 30 years old, this does start to get a little confusing but I can only go on the information that has been provided to me first hand by another owner of this vehicle (who owned the car early on in its life when this info was still fresh) and to weigh the knowledge of an actual owner of the vehicle over and above information that is found online or provided by current day "experts".

I have recently spoken with Peter Hills who once again confirmed that in his belief the car is a Wolf Racing car which matches up with the history of the car as i have known it for a long time. 

Hi Ben.

Researching these old race cars is fascinating and very rewarding most of the time and in fact can turn up all sorts of great info.

All I was suggesting was to not place all your belief in what one owner believed at one time and has probably had no reason to doubt it since. I know Peter genuinely believes his old car to be a Wolf car. This is not to mislead or trick anyone, simply thats what he always understood. 

I certainly agree wholeheartedly with you about not accepting what some 'intergoogle expert' is trying to have you believe without substantiation. The best thing i think you will find is genuine research, investigating the car, contemporary reporting and also resources such as this and other forums for direction for your research. Take all this information and misinformation and grind it out. An old ten tenths forum established there were definitely 5 B&H cars so therefore they were then traced and then by deduction established which was which etc. etc. I 'believe' from the body of information I have seen that the Peter Hills car is TLR2 and built in '88. However I am always curious to any new info on these cars that turns up. Remember TLR2 is only its forum name as from memory it has a road car chassis number on the floor? The pic i posted at bathurst was, i think, the first time it was presented to the public.

I can try and dig up articles of its build but from memory it was built a bit 'under the radar', because Longhurst was running in Freeport livery and only announced the branding change just prior Sandown when they repainted the '88 ATCC car, hence its retained white 'Freeport' interior.

Hope all goes well! cheers Ben

4 hours ago, kieran said:

Did you find out what number this was?

Any news on maybe buying the car too?

I have not yet confirmed which car but all evidence is pointing towards TLR2.

I have had to put the purchase of this car or any other race car on hold for the moment. Last year, I was diagnosed with a rare heart condition and at the time, the doctors orders were to cease all exercise. At the time, I was training for a hard enduro event in Romania - RedBull Romaniacs - 

The diagnosis came in in August - right when I was in the middle of training in preparation for the race this year (next month) - understandably, I had to cancel that aspiration and all other aspirations that involved any form of exercise (was not even allowed to walk a game of golf). 

As I had nothing else to do, I purchased the RS500 kind of fill a gap (also because of an old passion) - hence why I purchased a project car rather than a mint one, as I needed something to fill in my time. After getting the RS500, my old passion for motorsport took hold again and hence the interest in the TLR car (am also looking at building an improved production 3dr as I will have a spare engine in the next couple of weeks).

The week before last, I saw the number 1 heart doc / professor in the country fully expecting to have to go under the knife and spend a number of months recovering however to my surprise, he gave me a semi all clear - I still have a serious and rare heart condition that will need surgery in a few years time, but has given me the go ahead to get back into exersize and as such, the go ahead to get back on track to do Romaniacs. Unfortunately, I have missed the sign up (and preparation) for this years event so have started training for next years event. 

Romaniacs is going to take up 100% of my focus for the next 13 months so there is little room in there for the TLR car. I am still going to get the Moonstone RS500 finished which is getting closer every day now but other than that, it will be riding and the gym for me for the next year as I am aiming to enter what is renowned as the hardest of the hard enduro races in the second highest class next year. 

Hopefully, once the race if out of the way, I can get back on track and who knows, maybe my old B&H car will still be on the market and I can get it then - lets see!

14 hours ago, cossie rs500 said:

a great photo pops up  today  ,,,,,,that prove   that    subgect  sierra  is  the  tlr2  side by side with the  2  wolfs,,,,,,

received_942485432521234.jpeg

Great photo, thanks! That is definitely the car in the foreground! Do you know when this was taken?

Just an update, this car sold late last year to a guy in QLD. He will be performing a resto on the car this year and plans to race it in the Historic Grp A series next year. I have been in touch with him a few times (throughout the purchase and since), it is great to see it go to a good home where it wil be used the way it was designed!

I think the picture with the 3 cars was taken at Eastern Creek or something? Or maybe Bathurst paddock area?