bendy

TLR3/4

There were definately 5 B&H Sierras. At Bathurst 1989 the 2nd Wolf car was used as a T car (pictured in the 1990 Bathurst program), and again in 1990 (pictured on page 104 of The Great Race). The last car's log book was issued on 01 August 1990, so the 3 cars at the Waneroo round in June must have been the 88 LHD and 2 Wolf cars. The Wolf cars can be distinguished by having the airjack points to the right of the grill rather than in the centre.

Also there was a picture in Auto Action in late 1990 of all 4 Sierras still owned by Longhurst when it was announced that the team were switching to BMWs.

No it gets even more interesting - here is a picture taken today of the Bryan Sala car - 12814405_10153669061568303_1280562800938

It is sporting a yellow interior and under-body however looking at the older pictures Bryan's car had a black interior as per the Wolf cars.

Here is the picture of my car when Peter Hills owned it - 

94840__99292.1387155832.1280.1280.jpg

This photo is from back in '98 i think - it bears a striking resemblance to Bryan's car back then and now except it has the black interior as it should for a Wolf car and is missing the RS500 body bits. Does anyone know where the colour scheme came from for Byrans car back in the 80's as if his and my old car were part of a 2 car team in that colour scheme but still begs the question why is Bryans car sporting a yellow interior??? 

2013,It is still owned by '91/2 driver, Bryan Sala, has to run these colors to keep 6 speed g/box and mag arms.

He painted inside, underneath,and engine bay yellow to link with B&H, but as a Wolf car should be black inside.

6 minutes ago, cossie rs500 said:

2013,It is still owned by '91/2 driver, Bryan Sala, has to run these colors to keep 6 speed g/box and mag arms.

OK that makes sense with the CAMS historic requirements. But do you know anything about the Peter Hills car / my old car (as shown above) having the same external colour scheme as Bryan Sala's car??

cossie RS500 is correct, Bryan is the sole owner of that car after the B&H team. No one ever owned that car but him.

Sadly I don't know why your old car was painted in the same colour scheme as Bryan's car.

On 3/11/2016 at 6:14 PM, RSRoy said:

cossie RS500 is correct, Bryan is the sole owner of that car after the B&H team. No one ever owned that car but him.

Sadly I don't know why your old car was painted in the same colour scheme as Bryan's car.

Not correct

24 minutes ago, drbob said:

Not correct

I am with drbob on this one, I believe they all went to Brian Bolwell first and Bryan Sala purchased the car from Bolwell but could be wrong here.

52 minutes ago, bendy said:

I am with drbob on this one, I believe they all went to Brian Bolwell first and Bryan Sala purchased the car from Bolwell but could be wrong here.

Not correct

And I have to correct the Brian Bolwell statement, I meant Steve Masterton. I am pretty sure he purchased all the cars bar TLR1 from TLR when they made the change over to BMW's 

2 minutes ago, RS500 said:

Ben,

did you get my msg from the weekend?

Bryan sala had a sign with some details of the car, including owner history.  I'll dig it out of my phone and post it here.

Yes I did, sorry, missed the bit down the bottom of the board! So looks like the Bryan Sala car is one of TLR3/4 and has a Wolf Racing chassis number to match and was owned by TLR then Ken Smith then Bryan Sala.

All the evidence at present is leading to my old car being TLR2 - there is just the issue of the person I purchased the car from swearing black and blue that it is a Wolf Racing car but also saying it was the 88 sister car. Oh well...

4 hours ago, bendy said:

It would be handy if you could elaborate even just slightly on your responses drbob :)

Bendy just waiting for RSRoy to elaborate

B&H to Ken Smith to Bryan Sala.... correct...no doubt

Totally forgot about Ken Smith. My mistake... But as said earlier in the thread Sala's car is one of the Wolf cars. And I believe your old car was TLR2 Ben.

13 hours ago, bendy said:

All the evidence at present is leading to my old car being TLR2 - there is just the issue of the person I purchased the car from swearing black and blue that it is a Wolf Racing car but also saying it was the 88 sister car. Oh well...

With all due respect I think your adding to the confusion by saying its a 'wolf car'. Do you mean wolf built or wolf parts in it? As I suggested earlier it very likely had 'wolf bits in it' as the team  had two wolf 'built' cars and spares so almost certainly it had wolf bits in it at some point. All the Aussie cars with DJR diffs weren't DJR cars. I read an auto action write up on the '88 winner and they even sourced bits from wolf for this first car. It was essentially a Rouse kit cobbled together with whatever Mezera could quietly procure out of Europe. Ford didn't like Frank Gardner for what they saw as costing the works team the '87 Bathurst win. His protest was the only one not dropped and saw them lose the victory. If you are suggesting it was built by wolf then it wasn't. TLR2 was built by B&H during the '88 season for the enduros. 

Bryans car looks great with the decals back on it! Bryan also told me when he first restored the car that the reason he painted inside yellow was to show its B&H heritage. Interestingly Carey recently bought Bowdens , TLR5car and ran it on the weekend with some success. If anyone has some pics of the meeting would be great to post.

cheers Ben 

image.png

I am only suggesting it is a wolf built car ( as opposed to having some wolf bits) because that is the history of the car as i know it. This is based on the information that was provided to me when I purchased the car some 20 odd years ago from the person i purchased it from who not only said to me but also quoted in a number of public interviews 20 odd years ago that my old car was an ex TLR car that was purchased from Wolf Racing.

With some of the less than reputable information that is available today that is being seen through foggy glasses almost 30 years old, this does start to get a little confusing but I can only go on the information that has been provided to me first hand by another owner of this vehicle (who owned the car early on in its life when this info was still fresh) and to weigh the knowledge of an actual owner of the vehicle over and above information that is found online or provided by current day "experts".

I have recently spoken with Peter Hills who once again confirmed that in his belief the car is a Wolf Racing car which matches up with the history of the car as i have known it for a long time. 

Went and had a look at the car again over easter and managed to get some pictures. Interestingly the log book and cams cage stickers all date back to '89 - no entry for '88.

DSC_0894.jpgDSC_0895.jpgDSC_0897.jpgDSC_0898.jpgDSC_0900.jpgDSC_0901.jpgDSC_0903.jpgDSC_0904.jpgDSC_0905.jpgDSC_0906.jpgDSC_0910.jpgDSC_0911.jpgDSC_0912.jpg

In 88 Tony drove the Bathurst winning car, white interior and previously Freeport livery. My guess is still this is the 89 car Tony drove. So not one of the Wolf cars.

Very nice pics though ;)

Thanks for the pics cossie 500 - definitely a lot of little differences there.

With all the info stacked up to date, I do tend to agree this is not a Wolf car but is more likely a Jim Stone / Campbell Little car locally built in Aus. There is still some confusion as to when it was built as one of the previous owners has stated it was the 88 sister car (partner car to the white interior Freeport car that won Bathurst that year) and it does look like it was the car that Tony drove in 89 but no cage sticker and log book indicates it was not built (well at least not logged) in 88 but 89. 

Interestingly, all this research has rekindled a flame within me. When I set out with this research, it was purely for historic reasons but the car has grown on me again and I am now seriously considering buying it back some 16-18 years after I sold it - for 10 times the price I sold it for! I spoke with the owner last weekend and we have come to a very preliminary agreement - I just need to see if I can spare the money at the moment - lets see what happens over the next few weeks, if no one else grabs it first I may see this car back in my ownership and racing it again!