bendy

TLR3/4

68 posts in this topic

I have finally pulled my finger out, dusted off some old photos I found and fed them into the scanner. 

It is uncertain which car this is, but I and a few others coupled with some of the history I know of the car identify it as either TLR 3 or 4 - Tony Longhurst Racing. Which ever car it is, it is the one that was driven by Alan Jones.

My understanding of the history is as follows:

2 x Wolf Racing cars were brought into Australia in 1988. 

The car was raced in by Robbie Francevic in 1988 for one round where some issues between EU regs and AU regs forced it to be taken off the track and some changes made. 

It was then raced by Neville Crichton during 1989 and Alan Jones and Deny Hulme for the enduro races and with Jones doing the 1990 season and again with Deny Hulme for the enduro's and with Gary and David Brabham in 1 race that year. 

1991 saw Bryan Sala and Graham Lusty racing the car at Bathurst.

It was then sold to Peter Hills and raced in the Australian 2ltr Super Touring Championship for a number of years as a N/A cosworth until Peter moved onto the Cosworth V6 mondeo's. 

I purchased the car off Peter around 1997 - memory is a bit vague here and raced the car in a number of club and state events before commencing a rebuild on it. Half way through the rebuild, somone contacted me to buy the car and regrettably (hindsight 20/20 etc etc) I let the car go.

Here are a couple of pics I found with me driving the car at an event at Bathurst in 1998 I think (looks like a very dry year!)

Image-000.jpgImage-001.jpg

Coming through the kink on conrod straight - despite the rear wing, these things got very loose at over 300 KM/h down conrod straight! -

Image-002.jpgImage-004.jpg

I got a bit heavy footed exiting Murray's corner - 

Image-007.jpg

We even raced the track in reverse, not often you get to do the esses at Bathurst this way in anger! - 

Image-008.jpg

Image-010.jpgImage-009.jpgImage-011.jpg

Thats a much younger me in the drivers seat on the front straight - 

Image301015120005-002.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures after it was a Benson and Hedges Car - 

92711__53293.1371883739.1280.1280.jpg

And when Peter Hills was racing it as a Super Tourer -

94840__99292.1387155832.1280.1280.jpg94841__15179.1387155832.1280.1280.jpg

The person I sold the car to restored it back into B&H colours and this is how the car looks today - 

20151016_104656.jpg20151016_104711.jpg

Apart from the drivers seat, I have checked the rest of the car and it is pretty close to how it was raced as a GRpA car back in the day. Looking at it now makes me wish I hadnt sold it some 17 odd years ago and makes me want to get another one to go with the road car!

Great pics Ben, hindsight and all that, for a long long time these cars had little value, it seems to be the 25 year rule, that a once lusted after car that falls out of favour then comes back into grace around then and skyrockets after that. I can think of so many I should have/could have bought, problem is that nothing in recent years had caught my eye to stash away for the future like the 3dr/rs500 did.

Didn't the car had it's chassis number stamped in somewhere Ben?

The one Bryan Sala now drives in the Herritage Touringcars must be the other one of TLR3 and 4.

21 hours ago, RSRoy said:

Didn't the car had it's chassis number stamped in somewhere Ben?

The one Bryan Sala now drives in the Herritage Touringcars must be the other one of TLR3 and 4.

To be honest, I cant remember, it was over 15 years ago I had the car and I cannot recall where the chassis number was. The car does have a complete log book which will likely complete some of it history. There is a chance that this car is not the Brian Sala one in the pics above. My main reason for thinking it is is that when I started rebuilding the car, I started stripping the pain back and you could see the history of the car in the layers of paint and I remember getting to the fluro orange / red colour and the white so thought that this was the Brain Sala car but it could well have been the Dave Barrow & Glenn McIntyre car

tony longhurst racing  have  build  1 rhd  rs500  freeport  signage,,,layter  b&h  winner bathurst  1988,,sold  to  colin bond,  now  back  in original  colors  in bathurst  museum  ,,,,second  car  lhd  ,,in 1989  bye  the  2  wolf cars  black interior   ,sisters  off  peanut slab    ,,from paxton,,,,  then  build  the  last  lhd    yellow inshide  ( bowden family)   its easy  to  spot  the cars  from  the  pics  and  video,,,salla  car  is  crihton  or  allan  jones,,,  wolf  mirrors  ,jack nozle  possition    ,salla paint yellow  inside  for link to b&h colors,,,,

So your old car seems to be TLR2 then Ben.

TLR1 RHD 88 Bathurst winner, white inside
TLR2 LHD local built, Tony's car during 89 and 90, black inside
TLR3 LHD Wolf built, Crichton, Jones or Sala, black inside
TLR4 LHD Wolf built, Crichton, Jones or Sala, black inside
TLR5 LHD local built, used by Tony in 1990 enduro's, yellow inside.

12 minutes ago, RSRoy said:

So your old car seems to be TLR2 then Ben.

TLR1 RHD 88 Bathurst winner, white inside
TLR2 LHD local built, Tony's car during 89 and 90, black inside
TLR3 LHD Wolf built, Crichton, Jones or Sala, black inside
TLR4 LHD Wolf built, Crichton, Jones or Sala, black inside
TLR5 LHD local built, used by Tony in 1990 enduro's, yellow inside.

No, I am pretty sure it was a Wolf car with black interior and left hand drive and Alan Jones raced it making it one of TLR3 or 4. It has the air jack in the centre of the grille so if you can figure out which one of 3 or 4 had the air jack in the centre (as opposed to having it offset to the right side of the car) then you have figured out which car it is. 

The wiring harness and fuse / switch assembly is Wolf racing and that looks to have been in the car from day dot. 

I dont think Neville knows which car he has either. The history of 3 and 4 is really grey and there is some confusion as to wether Jones or Longhurst drove my (/ Neville's) car, but I am pretty sure from the history that was told to me from Peter Hills some 18 years ago is that this is the car Jones drove. 

This is what makes it even worse, looking back thru the pictures, coupled with my knowledge of the paint that came off the car when I stripped it, you will see that some of the pics have the air jack point offset (Sala) and some of them have it centred (Hills) and also, the mirrors are different on the cars, however the paint scheme is the same throughout for Sala and Hills (white with fluro orange / red) and the mirrors on the all fluro car match the peter hills car.....

in  wanoroo  1990    apeer  3  cars     tony nuber 25  black mirrors  black interior  center nozle grill,,,,,alan jones  nuber  20  wolf mirrors  black interior  offset  nozle,,,,  crihton  nuber  62   wolf mirrors  black interior  offsett  nozle  ,,,allan mofat  speak  and say  how  hard a team run 3 cars....   tony  like to drive  lhd  car  ,  in  89  bye  the  2 wolf cars  from  paxton  ,,they  sat in storage  in sydney ,wen thief  enter and stole  many spares  of the cars,,,,,parts  change  durring  the  years  ,,  you se  bond  tlr1  to run  ronals  ??  miedecke  allsow??   

As found on: http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?1410-Paxton-Sierras-and-Robbie-Francevic

Here's how Auto Action reported the cars through

1988: Mar 18: Robbie Francevic to head a two car Wolf Sierra team. The second car to be driven by ‘co-Kiwi’ Mark Jennings.

Apr 1: First Wolf Sierra airfreighted to Australia with a second coming by sea.

Apr 15: Report on Francevic’s appearance in a Paxton Sierra at ATCC Round 3, Winton, April 10. Qualified 10th, the slowest of the Sierras. DNF with gear selection problems on lap 47 of 50. Questions were asked about the legality of the inner rear guards, suspension, rear hatch, engine bay, steering column, seat position…. CAMS were assured that this was just the way Ford made Sierras now days and nothing to worry about. They Jury was out.

Apr 29: Ford was unable to provide paperwork to satisfy the CAMS officials that the Paxton Sierra was legal. Wolf Racing was reluctant to modify the car when identical cars were racing in UK & Europe without questions over their legality.

Jun 24: Robbie Francevic was attempting to buy one of the Paxton Sierras.

Jul 8: Robbie Francevic said he will be at Bathurst in a Wolf Sierra, but not one owned by Ian Paxton. Mark Petch would be supplying the car.

Aug 19: Warwick Rooklyn and Mike Quinn were expected to race a Paxton Sierra in the Pepsi 250 at Oran Park (Aug 28). (The entry didn’t eventuate).

Sep 16: $69k of tools and spares were stolen from Bob Steven’s Sydney workshop where Paxton’s Sierras were stored, including a gearbox that was CUT from one of the cars.

Dec 23: Tony Longhurst buys the two Paxton cars for himself and Neville Crichton to race in 1989. One car had raced just once. The second car unused. Longhurst said they would be selling their Bathurst winning RHD car. Keeping a newer LHD Sierra that they’d built in 1988 meant the team had three cars to use in 1989.

And this was found on:http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114111

Tony Longhurst Racing

At the end of 1987 with Frank Gardner having closed the JPS team after BMW decided to transfer their support to Peter Brock, Tony Longhurst set up a new team on the Gold Coast, with Frank Gardner coming on board as team manager and with the Amatil sponsorship.

TLR1

Assembled as Rouse kit car for the beginning of 88, painted in Freeport colours as #3. Raced in 88 enduros as #25 in Benson & Hedges colours with Tomas Mezera co driving. Sold at end of 88 to Ken Matthews and run as a customer car by Colin Bond, racing in Caltex colours. Bond may have used it in the odd race in 89. Garry Rogers joined Matthews for the enduros. Matthews raced in some 1990 races including the Eastern Creek 500 with son John. The 1988 Bathurst winner was purchased by Amatil and donated to the Bathurst museum in 1994.

TLR2

Assembled as LHD car during 1988. Was in the garage at Bathurst, but team elected to stick with TLR1. Raced by Longhurst throughout 1989 with Neville Crichton co driving at Oran Park, Sandown, Bathurst, Wellington and Pukekohe. Raced by Longhurst in 1990 ATCC.

TLR3 & TLR4

At the end of 1988 2 Wolf Racing built RS500s were purchased. These had been imported into Australia earlier in the year by Ian Paxton. One had appeared at the Winton round for Robbie Francevic. The liberal interpretations of the rules in Europe, didn’t sit well with the Australian scruitneers, it was allowed to start but for no points and wasn’t seen again.

After being rebuilt to to comply with the rules, one was raced throughout 1989 by Neville Crichton with Alan Jones & Denny Hulme driving it in the enduros. Jones drove it in the 1990 ATCC, again being joined by Hulme for the enduros. It was raced by Gary & David Brabham at the 1990 Eastern Creek 500.

The other served as a Test car, it appeared at Bathurst as such in 1989 & 1990, and was also driven in at the Waneroo round in 1990 by Crichton as #62.

Both appeared at Bathurst in 1991, one as the #44 Brian Bolwell Racing car driven by Dave Barrow & Glen McIntyre the other as the #50 Bryan Sala & Graham Lusty car.

On was later sold to Peter Hills and converted at 2 litre non turbo specs. It was sold to Sydney’s Neville Simmons and restored as it raced by Longhurst.

TLR5

Built for the 1990 enduros only raced by Longhurst until the end of the year. Sold to Brian Bolwell who raced it at the Lakeside ATCC round, Bathurst with Arthur Abrahams and Wellington with Dave Barrow. As mentioned above is now owned by Chris Bowden.

The 2 TLR wolf cars are with Byan Sala and Alan Drinkrow. Both have been owned since back in the day with Wolf style air jack .

TLR5 is yellow inside and with Bowdens, TLR1 is completely unique and has been in Bathurst Museum since Ken Mathews sold it to Phillip Morris pty ltd (B&H) who refurbed it back to B&H (from Caltex) livery and donated it to the Museum.

The car your talking about can only be TLR 2 regardless of what people believe.

cheers.

Bryan Sala Phillip Island 2014 and Alan Drinkrow car at Pine Harbour Museum.

Both long term owners and still Wolf.

Interestingly Alan has also recently finished an awesome resto on the 1969 BTCC winning 8 port Equipe Arden Cooper S.

I hope Bryan puts the Tyrepower livery back on.

cheers

PI%20Classic%202014-125_g7it53[1].png

Sierra+Cosworth[1].jpg

59 minutes ago, bent65 said:

The 2 TLR wolf cars are with Byan Sala and Alan Drinkrow. Both have been owned since back in the day with Wolf style air jack .

TLR5 is yellow inside and with Bowdens, TLR1 is completely unique and has been in Bathurst Museum since Ken Mathews sold it to Phillip Morris pty ltd (B&H) who refurbed it back to B&H (from Caltex) livery and donated it to the Museum.

The car your talking about can only be TLR 2 regardless of what people believe.

cheers.

This just does not gell with what I know of the car and what Peter Hills says of the car. Here is a quote from and interview Peter did with motorsport.com back in 1999 -

"A few years later I bought a Ford Sierra off Brian Bolwell - it was one of the ex-Benson & Hedges cars, built by Wolf Racing overseas. That was the car I raced when I started in the Super Touring championship" -http://www.motorsport.com/general/news/astc-peter-hills-interview/ 

And this lines up with what I was told and remember of the car and sources such as tentenths.com etc. It does confirm that this is not the Sala car but would indicate that Alan Drinkrow has tlr2 or some other car.

OK, now the mud seems to get thicker. I just got off the phone with Peter Hills. He has confirmed that he purchased the car from Brian Bolwell and also confirms it was a Wolf car, making it either TLR3 or 4, but was also pretty certain that it was the sister car of the 1988 Bathurst winner, making it TLR2 - he was pretty confident on both points so it is all the more confusing now as both points cannot be correct. I am going to try and see the car again in the next few weeks and will see if I can find a chassis number - if it is TLR2 then I guess it will be stamped as such or have some TLR number (any pointers out there for what to look for?) and if it is TLR3/4 then I guess it will have a Wolf chassis number - any idea how Wolf numbered their cars and where?

He did indicate that the best person to speak to (other than Tony Longhurst) would be Brian Bolwell so I will see if I can track him down.

Early Wolf cars chassis numbers are like *HWRT 1987xxx* were xxx is the built number.

Later cars have something else. Not quite sure what. It has to do that Wolf changed their company name from HWRT to Wolf Racing.

3 hours ago, bendy said:

OK, now the mud seems to get thicker. I just got off the phone with Peter Hills. He has confirmed that he purchased the car from Brian Bolwell and also confirms it was a Wolf car, making it either TLR3 or 4, but was also pretty certain that it was the sister car of the 1988 Bathurst winner, making it TLR2 - he was pretty confident on both points so it is all the more confusing now as both points cannot be correct. I am going to try and see the car again in the next few weeks and will see if I can find a chassis number - if it is TLR2 then I guess it will be stamped as such or have some TLR number (any pointers out there for what to look for?) and if it is TLR3/4 then I guess it will have a Wolf chassis number - any idea how Wolf numbered their cars and where?

He did indicate that the best person to speak to (other than Tony Longhurst) would be Brian Bolwell so I will see if I can track him down.

Be careful with expecting chassis numbers to be as they are described in ten tenths. The abreviations were for clarity when we were hashing out the histories. for example the DJR cars I believe had 'DJR#' etc stamped into them, but I can tell you, the OXO/Miedecke cars didn't as they started life as Don Smiths 'OXO Supercube' team cars before Miedecke was even in the team. We used 'MM1',  'MM2' etc for clarity in ten tenths. 'CXT' the same I wouldn't expect the Longhurst cars to all have TLR etc stamped into them.

I would suggest Peters recollection of his car being the '88 sister car are correct as the '88 Bathurst book has a great pic of the left hooker car sitting in the garage next to the 'winner'. It has the centre air jack location. The car was Longhurst built to trial LHD at Bathurst, which in theory should work but they opted instead to use the ATCC Freeport car still with the white interior as can be seen also.

It is possible the car had some Wolf bits in it as they had 2 Wolf cars to run at the same time so some cross pollination could have happened. For example Ken Matthews ran Ronals at one time on the '88 Bathurst winner in Caltex livery. He remembers them coming with the car so likely unused Wolf Bits from TLR, as they always used white, black and lastly yellow Simmons wheels.

3 hours ago, bendy said:

This just does not gell with what I know of the car and what Peter Hills says of the car. Here is a quote from and interview Peter did with motorsport.com back in 1999 -

"A few years later I bought a Ford Sierra off Brian Bolwell - it was one of the ex-Benson & Hedges cars, built by Wolf Racing overseas. That was the car I raced when I started in the Super Touring championship" -http://www.motorsport.com/general/news/astc-peter-hills-interview/ 

And this lines up with what I was told and remember of the car and sources such as tentenths.com etc. It does confirm that this is not the Sala car but would indicate that Alan Drinkrow has tlr2 or some other car.

IMG_0824.jpg

Also Read the Ten Tenths stuff  in its entirety as more info gets teased out things become clearer with still some errors left. Don't get caught reading one line or post in anything and believe it to be true if facts or pics are available to bring it in to doubt. As you say it cant be both the '88 sister car and a Wolf car.

cheers Ben

There is a massive amount of WRONG info on ten tenths guys

Just like most websites , its full of info from people who have read a book , or was told by there dads mates sisters husband who was there ( selling icecream so wasnt even watching )

I find looking at pictures of said cars will tell you who built it quite easily , I can spot wolf cars / eggmo / rouse / etc etc very easily , as can most who know what there looking at

somthing  that allsow  its  goes  with  this  car  from the beggining is the  custom  bracket  of the  mirror,,,,its  there  in all the  pictures,,,,

2013-01-14 12.07.10.jpg

Amazing to read the checkered life some of the RS500s led back then, where as some seemed to escape unscathed over the years.

I was lucky enough to see them race in period on track both in the UK and Aus, mainly at F1 support races but it was only in later years I took a keen interest in the back story of the cars and the teams.

They still hold a special place with me, even though I no longer own one.