Sign in to follow this  
Jerry Mahony

Jerry Mahony Racing Pictures

Great pictures again Jerry

I did know Guy was the very brave man who pulled Niky from his burning car , but didnt know he got anything for his efforts , so great to hear he did get a very well deserved award 

Funny enough i was talking to the owner of Guys rs500 today as he tried to sell it to me

Today's pictures are both from the Silverstone GP Circuit 1988, not sure if there as any particular story here except that my nearside indicator is hanging out, which would indicate some sort of contact there. In the second picture my old mate Karl is giving chase. I had some great tussles with Karl during 88 and 89, he did wonders with that car on a very low budget and Avon tyres which were really cr.p. He got pole at one of the races in the wet, I'm not sure if it was 88 or 89, but did any absolutely banzai lap. When he came in to the drivers briefing after qualifying everyone applauded him, which was something I had never seen happen before or since. But is was a real appreciation by all drivers of just how much effort he had put in to get pole.    

36.jpg

69.jpg

Hi Paul

We were based at Silverstone, in a collection of old WWII Nissan huts that are not there any more.

The first couple of pictures today are from Thruxton again! The first one is in the pits just before the race and the second one is on the grid,not sure why the bonnet is up, maybe just having a quick check before the start of the race. The third picture is of my helicopter just about to take off at Oulton Park, just look at the queue of cars waiting to get out behind me! They used to rope-off an area just outside the pits for me to land. I was quite often joined by David Richards, MD of Prodrive and more lately Team Principal of Honda F1 Team a few years ago, he had a Hughes 500 helicopter. Mike Smith had a Robinson R44 helicopter in 1988, but had a really bad crash in it at the end of the season, he and his wife Sarah were lucky to get away with their lives, although they were both badly injured. He stopped flying for a few years after that, but ironically at the time of his death 2 years ago he ran a helicopter charter/filming company.

122.jpg

61.jpg

101.jpg 001.jpg

I wished I had seen the cars racing live, dvd's are great, and been lucky enough to see and hear 3/4 cars at Silverstone classic, the press/media day was best for me, in 2012. a day I will never forget, but all those cars are im sure being driven carefully, im sure when they were racing properly in must have been an amazing sight and sound. 

Wish In a weird way I had been old enough to follow the RS500 racing.

Hope you have some great stories, pictures and info from the "Monaco of the midlands" in 1989 Jerry

That must have been something else, bumpy roads, no view of where your going really and 150mph past shops and traffic lights. Not your average race

Hi Guys

Sorry I have been away this week so no new pictures. I will catch up over the weekend and post some on.

Paul, yes I do have all my race suits and helmets. The helmets are on top of my trophy cabinet ( it's a very small cabinet !) and my race suits are packed away in a box and I did see them just a few months ago all in A1 condition. Race suits embroidered with my name and blood group are the following:

Arquati x 4 ,Firestone x 2, Labatts x 1, Securicor Omega Express x 1, Renault x 1, TOCA x1. Lotus x1, Honda x 1

Just to head off any questions, no I am not selling any.

I have had the first batch of photos back from the digitaliser on DVD so when I get a moment I will load them on my computer and put them in the queue ready to load. I also got back on DVD format the film Firestone made at the end of the 88 season. I have mentioned this before on here. This film is nowhere on the net and was professionally produced and although it is not RS500, it is about the 2 racing Sierra Cosworths and Sapphire and covers our 88 season including the long distance races and the Willhire 24 hour, it is 34 minutes long and as I have not seen it since 1989 was interesting to watch again, albeit a little dated.

More pictures in the next day or two.

Jerry

Great news you still have the helemets / suits etc

That tells me how important the times were to you and the fact you wont sell also says the passion is still there .

I bought an original signed Helmet of Manuel Reuter to go with my car , its a great item to have and looks fantastic sat on the roof , ( as its to small to wear . lol )

Keep up the great work as we are all looking forward to more

Paul

I thought I would change tack a bit now and go for some of the 1989 pictures. I still have some more 88 pictures but if I mix them up a bit it should make things a bit more interesting.

One of the things I was asked to do in 1989 was attend the Lancashire Police's 100 year celebration day at their headquarters at Preston.There were quite a few celebrities from sport and TV in attendance including 'our Nige' who along with myself and Russell Swift were going to do a sort of driving competition in various vehicles, including a tank, an armoured car, a petrol tanker and a brand new Lancia Thema that Nige and I were going to race around the cones against the clock! Well the headlines tell the story of who came out on top of that one, but the thing was that between the two of us we totally destroyed this brand new Thema in about 30 minutes, mechanically anyway! It was hilarious this Lancia was completely dead and it had not even been registered yet. I had met Nige before because I was the importer of Sunseeker Boats for Southern Spain at that time and I had met him on the Sunseeker stand at the Earls Court Boat Show where he had bought a Sunseeker to take to Majorca. 

I had arrived at the Police day in the Helicopter and completely upstaged Nige who had arrived in his Testarossa ( he was driving for the Ferrari F1 Team at the time). The picture shows me explaining the helicopter controls to him and how movement of any 1 effects the other 3, kind of like rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time. We had a great day there and certainly a few thousand people attended. I also gave a demo in the RS500 race car, but as I remember bust the diff as I could only do doughnuts on the parade ground, lots of smoke!

56d4421a8f07c_101.jpg001.jpg.80cfe25270d

23.jpg

107.jpg

Two of the pictures below are from 89, you can see the car has slightly different livery to 88 and in fact was a different shell as well. Those of you who are keen eyed will also see that in the first shot the car has Pirelli stickers on. This is because I changed tyres mid way through the 89 season in a bid to find more speed, which it did not do! 

1989 was a nightmare year for me in the BTCC, I was really expecting to win races but in reality I was less competitive than 1988. It would be wrong and seem like 'sour grapes' to put the full story on here, a story in-fact that I did not find out until a few years later, but the facts are I was down at least 100hp in 1989 this was due to a mixture of politics,hidden agendas and just outright jealousy.The only saving grace for me and what kept my head straight was that I was still winning races in other cars ( and trucks) and seemed to be on the pace in every other racing car I got in. As I have said before on here, it is maybe a little difficult to understand this type of behaviour now, but I got so much publicity and TV coverage that it was bound to put a few noses out of joint. The fact that I had only been in the sport a year and played down how hard it was simply fuelled the animosity. I think I went racing with an attitude like they used to have in the 1930's, but in reality in a high profile series like the BTCC was then, it was a dog eat dog and a really treacherous, nasty, enviroment behind the scenes. I just did not realise that at the time.

Both of the picture's were taken at Silverstone, obviously Smithy in one and Smithy and my old sparring partner Mike Newman in the other, he was a real gent and an all round good guy, albeit a little older than a lot of us, but I had some really great races with Mike Newman and no touching. Where as whenever I got in a scrap with Smithy it tended to always end in contact from one or other of us.

The other picture is of one of the Firestone Cossies during the Willhire 24 Hour Race at Snetterton in 1988, we were dominant in these cars for a couple of years and although not RS500's they were Cosworths and are all part of the story.

35.thumb.jpg.dd3a3024da3c3996ee63d0b2afe24.thumb.jpg.bd5f2d22c703ffe87a482db464452.thumb.jpg.1fedd0643ddb692e39cf8d3b995

Mad Mike Newman ,,lol

Mike is a great fella who is still very passionate about his rs500

The car must be the best original condition rs500 btcc car left ,

Mike brought his car to the RSOC national day last year and came out on track with me in my Lui

Andy Lloyd in DJR 1 ( rob gravetts old car ) and Steve Matthias in the ex Andy Rouse Caliber car ,, a great day

I thought I would put a couple of Thundersaloon pictures up today just to keep the variety going. As many of you know this was the ex- Bristow Labatts BTCC car converted at the end of 1990. The car had extensive mods to the suspension and bodyshell as well as the engine, it was an awesome 'beast' and we won the Championship with it in 1991. Further extensive mods/improvements were carried out over the winter of 1991 as covered on here before, but I never got to race the car in 1992. I have found some pictures of the car in Securicor Omega Express livery taken on Press day at Brands Hatch at the beginning of 1992 after the car had come back from Nogaro France and been painted, that I have now had digitalised and will post on here soon, as far as I know this Group of Press Day pictures have never been published or seen before.

As most of you know the car now has been converted back to its BTCC Labatts livery, all suspension and body mods have been put back to BTCC spec, understandably so, but she was an awesome beast to drive in her previous life!

Today's pictures show Laurance and I at the initial shakedown test at Snetterton after the car had been built at the beginning of 1991, Tim Harvey was also in attendance and had a run in the car. The second picture, I'm not sure where it was taken, but I have my lights on so one must assume I was in a hurry!

The third picture kind of told the story of the 1991 season, the RS500 hotly pursued by the V8 Carlton and the RX7 this was pretty much the competition in 1991. The Carlton in particular had a massive V8 and was very quick, driven by Pete Stevens and another guy who I can't remember his name, they were pretty much paired up all year. That car had won the Championship a couple of times driven by John Cleland and Vince Woodman and was a full Vauxhall 'works' entry initially but was sold when they entered the BTCC.

I did the races with a number of diffrent drivers as Laurance was not always around. Sean Walker, Gary Ayles, Paul Radisch and I am sure Thomas Metzera did a race with me as well ( he had, or has, won Bathurst). I don't think we won all the races but we won the lions share. We could do a pit stop/driver change in under 10 seconds!

41.jpg.b1fc9088f7e64edccffddfc941366ad7.56d821497ded6_RS5004001(2).thumb.jpg.206

56d82199ade15_129(2).thumb.jpg.caffcafb1

I believe something went wrong with the first picture Jerry.

The car does look the nuts with the Arquati livery in Thundersaloon spec.

When it came back to the UK from New Zealand it was such a pity it did not get painted in the Securicor colours, always thought that looked a superb scheme.

I believe Martin the buyer did consider it, but could not find any clear enough photos so he had it painted up in Labatts but it never looked right in those colours with the loon body. Sad in a way it's back to btcc spec now.

I am pretty sure there was a poster of the car in the light blue colour in Autosport that year?

Here's some more, basically the same story, sounds boring but actually it wasn't I had some real scraps in T/saloons and the pit-stop/driver changes made life more interesting. Also a picture of winning at Brands with commentator Brian Jones (RIP). Brian ended up working for me in 2000-2002 when I had the VIP Club where he did any excellent job as host at my corporate events, sadly he passed away a couple of years ago, he was always very popular with the drivers and spectators, he could definitely be described as Mr Brands Hatch.

22.jpg

44.jpg

60.jpg

Great pictures and stories Jerry, keep them coming. Too think I was a 7 year old kid sat watching u racing on vhs and kept repeating it over and over and all these years later looking and reading your stories is great.

would be great if u could trace your old shell and build it back up, yours is one of not many that are missing.

Right chaps after a long, long time you guys on here are really getting a world first these pictures have never been seen by anyone before except a couple of people who were involved with taking them on the day.They have sat in my photo archive for many years and I have just got them digitalised along with many others. There are very few pictures of the Thundersaloon  in Securicor colours as it basically only ran in that livery on the press day at Brands Hatch in spring 1992. 

Basically the car had returned from a weeks testing in Nogaro France, the story of which I have posted on here before. The car was re-painted in Securicor colours in under a week and taken to Brands for the launch of the series. This was the day when I broke the lap record of the circuit with a passenger in, by the best part of a second I think, the car was just so good when we came back from Nogaro. It certainly broke the spirit of my fellow competitors, most of whom were there. They need not have worried the car never raced, my world fell apart about 10 days later. I have no pictures of the car circulating on the track except the one that's been on the web for a few years, in that picture you can see all the front air inlets are taped up as it was a very cold day. I had trouble getting any heat in those massive tyres, but once they got up to temperature the grip was awesome. Launching off the top of paddock hill bend , which is a blind entry certainly made you pay attention! 

I'd also had the helicopter painted in Securicor colours and the pictures are of it on the infield at Clearways. I have a lot of pictures from that day but they are basically all the same. I also have a piece from Thames TV of the car on track taken that day which I am due to get put on DVD.

022.jpg

015 - Copy.jpg

006.jpg

003 - Copy.jpg

Wow that looks really good in securicor colours. A few years ago when Martin Johnston had this car in labbats livery, I saw it at rally day castle Combe, it had the fastest lap that day even tho there were loads of highly modified jap cars there, epic car.

Here are some more pictures of the T/saloon on its initial shakedown at Snetterton after it was built spring 1991. It ran pretty much faultlessly all day with just some work needed to dial in the new suspension tweaks which wee a big departure from the Rouse Group A set-up.

The final evolution of the rear suspension, a la Securicor car did not happen until a year after this, which was another big step forward.

I have to say that of all the different formula of Sierra Cosworth I raced (Production Saloon, Group N, Group A (BTCC) and Thundersaloon) it was the Thundersaloon spec car that I liked the best, not just because it was the fastest, but because the re-worked chassis that Dave Lampit built and engineered and improved over time, was the most 'progessive' chassis in terms of handling of all the cars. The BTCC cars  with Rouse suspension were always a little rigid and consequently were very hard on their tyres. This is where the Eggenburger cars were good, although Rouse out-grunted them, Rudi's chassis was a lot more compliant than a Rouse chassis and consequently was kinder to its tyres. I never drove a Graham Goode car, they appeared to handle OK and ran close to the front most of the time, but were not quite the complete package to enable wins. The Trakstar cars were obviously fantastic particularly with those Yokohama tyres, know one had an anwser to those!

00014.JPG

00012.JPG

00013.JPG

00015.JPG

hi jerry,

fantastic pictures & a good photo of lawrence as it is a very rare thing to see him with out his helmet on !

i see there was cam shipping on your car, was this a sponsor that lawrence had as it was on my car too, do they still exsist, do you know? I"d love to get a chance to speak to lawerence about his old car lets hope he may read this & respond ......

andy