bendy

Fan trigger

Hi All,

What triggers the electric fans? Is it the "original" style single wire temp sensor on the left side (it provides signal for the dash?) or the "new" style 2 wire sensor that is wire into the ECU or is there a stand alone temp sensor / controller for the fans?

Thanks,

Ben

The fan switch on the bottom right on the rad ( as your looking at the front of the car )

The fans is an issue with the rs500 as the wiring wasnt upgraded for the twin fans , so they draw to much current and blow the fuses , so everyone upgrades to a 20 amp fuse ,, this the causes the loom to melt ,,its best to fit a stand alone loom and this cures the problem

I sell the looms if you decide to go down that route

Paul

Thanks Paul, 

Between rebuilding the brakes and chasing down some other electrical faults today I also have to sort out an overheating issue which has manifested itself since I had a full fluid change done on the car the other day that will likely  involve  a head gasket change today as well (is going to be a busy day!).

As part of diagnosing the heat issue I noticed the fans are not coming on - but neither is the dash temp gauge working so thought it may be a sensor issue (have a full set ready to go in). I will check the fuses and loom and the switch you mentioned and get in touch re a loom after that :)

6 minutes ago, RS 500 Registrar said:

sounds to me like it may be air locked ?

Possibly, my mechanic is usually pretty good with these things but i will give it a bleed and see. Will also give ut a compression test and aee what shows up.

One of my concerns though is that the engine has been sitting idle with only the occasional start up over the last 15 years (the car had not been driven in  15+ years until the other week) so gaskets etc are deteriorating and I had the cooling system flushed and cleaned the other day as part of the fluid change - am worried that the cleaning fluid may have attacked and already weak head gasket - compression test will tell.

Temp gauge works off the sensor in the head just in front of the turbo, and as Paul said the fans work off the sensor in the rad. The ecu monitors water temp via the blue sensor in the back of the head on the inlet side.