RS 500 Registrar

Restoration of a legend , #70

I know the underside should be dove grey but my budget currently does not stretch to have that done YET! Maybe next year. 

However please remember what this 500 was like a very ugly ratty uncared for and very abused example what we have done is recued this car and undone many of the faults and wrongs this car has had done. She will never be the best but we have transferred her so far from a bit of a pig to pan RS500 that will be very very nice to look at and be clean and very tidy from top to bottom. 

Hope you will appreciate the work Paul has done and the time and effort involved in getting this 500 to where she is today.

Thanks Jas

You own an RS500 at the end of the day, there are lots of people out there that would love to be able to say that 8)

Good to see it coming together, Paul has rescued so many of these now, and no doubt will keep up the good work as more come out of the woodwork.

Enjoy your superb car.

Thanks for the comment Paul, and I'm sure many will look on this car in a very different way when finished I will be very happy to have 070 back and owe Paul L a massive debt of gratitude for his hard work and guidance in the resurrection of this 500. :D

Thanks Roy appreciate the comments, got some more pics to go up soon on the Facebook page and on here :D as the new tank is in the fuel pump and filter cradle is back in along with front rollbar etc 

Great work, both yourself Jas for taking the plunge and committing to save the car and Paul for the great work - I am sure you have done a lot of work as well. I sympathize with you re the flack this car may have received due to its checkered history as I get exactly the same issues with mine but at the end of the day it is you that has to be happy with it and no one else.

It looks like you are going through a lot of the work / rework i am having to do on mine so definitely feel the pain but also the joy when each bit os done.

Keep up the good work guys, look forward to seeing it back on the road and am sure it will ahit the mouths of the nay-sayers!

Hi bendy, thanks matey it has been hard finding some parts and if you need any help drop me a private message and if I can help I will. Is your 500 on this forum also? I'd like to see yours coming along if you can open up a thread or something that would be cool. And kudos to you pal for doing the same another one saved :D

And got to agree with you some of the purists may still knock it but as long as they have their own RS500 to compare it against I will accept their comments but it's still a 500 and needed to be saved. 

Mine is the thread below yours at the moment in resto's - moonstone 466. I have been pretty lucky (well actually have worked my arse off finding bits) with parts but still have a few pieces to find - i am on the case re your airbox lid and may have something for you in the next couple of days. 

More work done on the rear this time, rest beam back in diff back in new bushes springs dampers etc. What isn't new has been blasted painted refurbed. See for yourself in the pics 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, bendy said:

Bit of a window licker observation - shouldn't you have castle nuts on the tie rod ends?

And, is it just me or is there no sound in the video?

OE track rod ends have castle nuts and split pins , but modern new items have a lock nut

Hello Mate, TCA have the correct castle nuts and lock pins but the Track Rod Ends you can no longer get with castle nuts and split pins so you just have to use whats available for the track rod ends and that means nylon lock nuts unfortunately O0 and perhaps Paul can send another vid clip with sound :))

And hows your resto coming along did you get anymore done over this weekend?

13 minutes ago, rsjas251 said:

Hello Mate, TCA have the correct castle nuts and lock pins but the Track Rod Ends you can no longer get with castle nuts and split pins so you just have to use whats available for the track rod ends and that means nylon lock nuts unfortunately O0 and perhaps Paul can send another vid clip with sound :))

And hows your resto coming along did you get anymore done over this weekend?

All good! Surely a lock wire drill rig could fix the lack of holes and get the castle nuts back on there though :)

Did not get anything done over the weekend on my car, rather than hijack your thread, check out my post in the General Discussion area (coming shortly)

I did however get a largish delivery from roose motorsport today - new water pipes, complete ancillary hose set, power steering hose, turbo to intercooler boost hose and a 4wd to 2wd header tank pipe - with easter this weekend being a 4 day holiday we should see some progress - I also have a call with Karl Norris tonight which should see the rest of my engine bits in my hands within the next week or so :D

Alot of work for just some split pins through the track rod ends lol and we are not doing that If it was a concourse restoration perhaps yes but it isnt :lol:  And that delivery sounds good matey, and probably expensive have you looked at Burton Performance for engine parts?

24 minutes ago, rsjas251 said:

Alot of work for just some split pins through the track rod ends lol and we are not doing that If it was a concourse restoration perhaps yes but it isnt :lol:  

Its funny because I think the same but would then happily spend 3 hours on the wire wheel cleaning washers  . . .

25 minutes ago, rsjas251 said:

And that delivery sounds good matey, and probably expensive have you looked at Burton Performance for engine parts?

The thing is, by getting the bits from Karl, I not only get the bits I want but I get access to a wealth of knowledge and assistance which is more important in this case.

True enough Knowledge is priceless and best shared...

Difference is your doing your resto yourslef and im not and i a mnot paying Paul to drill holes in Track Rod Ends for a split pin :lol: and castle nut. My resto will make the car very very nice as opposed to concourse and the car will def be 200% better than it was and that was always my goal.

Today 070 got her bodykit and bumpers back on together with brand new headlights indicators and grills instead of the fog lights. Got yo say she's looking superb the kit had gone back on soooo well and I dare say took Paul an awful long time to fit as perfectly as he has. I can't imagine what she looks like in the flesh as you get no idea of the detail in pics but I am absolutely grinning like a Cheshire Cat as I write this:D

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg