RS 500 Registrar

Restoration of a legend , #70

Well its true , this car is a legend but for all the wrong reasons

Build number #070

Reg number E636 KHU

This car was for sale aprox 2 / 3 years ago on pistonheads etc and was slated by the usuall keyboard warriors who dont realy know what there talking about , and after 6 months the owner finaly contacted me and i bought the car to break for spares

Well the deal was done and i drove down to collect the car , and what a great car for the money

After advertising the car for breaking i was contacted by the owner of another car i was restoring who was looking to purchase a gen rs500 big spec angine for his car and a deal was done .

the buyer drove up to listern to the engine and a deal was done

After a short chat it was decided that he wanted to buy the complete car and asked me to take out the big spec 500 engine and fit his std 3 door engine so he could use the rs500 for a summer fun car and have the 500 engine for his other car , so this was done and the rs500 was built back up with a std cosworth engine .

The new owner ran the 500 for about 6 months then traded it in with a dealer for a BMW m3 and this is where the 500 stayed until Jason the new owner bought the car

Jason was clever enough to contact me regards the car before parting with any money and he was told the full story about the car baing reshelled early in its life and the fact it didnt have its original rs500 engine

Jason then went back to the dealer with all this info and haggled a deal and bought the car .

Jason and i had a long chat about the car before he bought it and we talked about a restoration on the car and putting a correct rs500 engine back into it

Well im pleased to say the car is now with me for the work and a restoration is under way

Keep poping back to see the restoration of build number #070

Paul

Edited by RS 500 Registrar

The car as it came to me , with the bumper and grille removed for transport reasons

IMG_1784_zps2h9cbtlo.jpg

IMG_1785_zpsqqqgw1k6.jpg

IMG_1787_zpsbekfmnnq.jpg

IMG_1786_zpsdlypyfrq.jpg

IMG_1789_zpsgelseops.jpg

A few hours later

IMG_1791_zpsdcmhxw4a.jpg

IMG_1792_zpsickj8kf2.jpg

IMG_1788_zpsdqlri3yk.jpg

IMG_1800_zpsiwj76jdf.jpg

IMG_1799_zpsriyjcvs9.jpg

The arches had been rolled and the bodykit cut back for bigger wheels , so the kit removed and the rear arch lips pulled back down

IMG_1795_zpstevj2xqs.jpg

IMG_1793_zps2tkgmqco.jpg

IMG_1794_zpsiywfwvbf.jpg

IMG_1796_zps6mvk5vob.jpg

IMG_1797_zpsxduppfkt.jpg

The plan for the car is

new front wings ( gen ford )

Complete repaint

Full under bonnet resto

Gen rs500 engine rebuilt and fitted

Tidy underside

New bodykit ( uncut )

Paul

I'd like to say that obviously Paul's knowledge and skill at knowing these cars is second to none and the information insight and knowledge was invaluable prior to my decision about buying the car. I previously owned an rs500 build 251 and many years ago I stupidly sold it smd since thdn longed for another rs500.

I did as much homework as I possibly could and pestered the life out of Pail for his knowledge particularly on this car.

After seeing the car sitting in the corner of a storage unit looking a little, well actually very sad and sorry for itself I brokered a deal with the dealer and the car cas secured. I personally think the car needed to be rescued and restored back to a decent standard. I have spent many many hours and pounds securing as many of the parts that the car needs to be returned back to a good standard. Finding the parts that the car needs is a little challenging but fun and I am getting there .

By the way if anyone knows the where shouts of a Rs500 sir box lid let me or Paul know please as you can see it still has the wrong air box lid, this is one part I am really struggling with!

Anyway do please keep coming back and any comments please add, I am really looking forward to getting 070 back and I'm more than certain that you will all be really surprised at the cars transformation and restoration as I know it couldn't be in better hands for the work.

Thanks Jas

Awesome to see the car being restored to its former glory guys  , Paul is correct when he says the cars been slated by all and sundrie the usual clueless jealous brigade ! .. Jas without doubt the cars in good hands pal , Pauls work is second to none , glad it finally found a good home a home it deserves .

Darren Barber     

The engine bay looks decent before being stripped, I remember this car kicking about and no1 having anything good to say about it, when Paul's finished with it I'm sure it will be as good and most cars.

Thanks for the comments Guys i know the car is in great hands.

I am looking forward to gettiing her back when all done.

I did find an old thread on the RS Owners club about the car lol, its still an RS500 and deserves to be saved she wont be the best but she will be saved and given a new life and at the end of day thats all that matters or she could of ended up being broken and these cars need to be kept alive.  ;D

The tick off list of jobs to do is diminishing and obv the largest one of all was the engine ( as Paul has stated Genuine Original RS500 ) this is currently being rebuilt, block has had all new liners, been decked, JE pistons, rings, gudgeon pins new bearings, GRP A head gasket etc

Jas

I have just got back from Paul's as 070 has just come back from paint, I have to say she looks truly superb and I'd like to say a massive thank you to Dibsy as I know him through Paul ( I'm sure I will get corrected if I have spelt his nic name wrong) anyway she has had a massive amount of work done and the shell and under Bonnett is now fully restored. Also the heart of 070 the PROPER engine has Also been built and is all but ready to go back into her. With Paul's help we are slowly righting all the wrongs this car has suffered over her lifetime and I'm sure when you see the pics I'm hoping you will agree that the transformation from what she was to where she is even now is huge. Still lots to do but I am very very happy with progress Cheers Jas

Ps pics to follow as they appear to be a bit large to post

Guys, just posted an update on the Facebook page there is loads more pics and some updates. Loads has happened behind the scenes since the last posts and I hope you will take time to have a read and a look. Just a few snaps of what has happened and been done.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Obviously new clutch,belts tensioners etc and engine back in remember this car had the wrong engine in it. Now has the correct RS500 engine rebuilt completely from block up, new liners,Pistons etc

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg