Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Kirkley

Trying to fill in, Cam Shipping's missing years !! HELP !

Can anyone help ?? I'm trying to fill in the missing years from the end of 1988 to 2000 ! I've got a autosport advert of my car / Laurence Bristows up for sale & to contact Laurence with regards it's sale ..... But then nothing :-( it was it seems sponsored by banards motor company at most races entered but I'm not sure if they still exsist  ? Now I'm hoping may be jerry might know where it went or heard through the grape vine etc. I've been told it went out to Malaysia doing races but nothing firm ! When I've needed to do any body work there's been no real striking colours that can confirm a colour change but just mainly the cam shipping blues & possibly other blues ??? Chris Bowden did say may be japan as there were some rouse cars out there but I'm not sure or heard anything for sure !!

If any one can please help that would be great thanks in advance Andy

I have quite a few pics of Japanese Rouse RS500s that seem to have then just vanished in those colours so your theory could make sense that it had a spell out there before heading back home and finally ending up yellow. Will dig them out and post them up to see if we can spot any similarities

Thanks Paul S ! It's difficult to say about the roll cages as they all had to be changed to steel in 1989 for rule changes in uk. But the front tow eye is a large flat plate with a hole in it & a battery jump point underneath it also there's a cut out in the front grille for May be air jack hose plus a extra cut out in the passenger front wing for cut out switch & fire extinguisher trigger ! So the number 2 light blue car could be it & also I've got the same six spoke black wheels & there quite rare I believe !! So who's is that car ??

I don't want to clog up the thread but just wondered how you know they are Rouse 500's in the pictures? Is it the roll cage that gives it away?

Cheers Rich

RHD is the typical starting point Rich for a Rouse, only LHD Rouse I know of was the CMS car, although the ANZ was converted later for the French Championships, then the cut out recess in the wing for the various safety bits and then the location of the fuel fillers plus all the other little bits Andrew mentioned.

I will have a hunt for more pics of the No 2 car, sounds like those wheels could be the missing link  :)

Could be this guy he raced a no2 RS500 in the 1990 japanese Championship with Endless project

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiichi_Tsuchiya

Might be worth a trawl through this to see if it pops up

listed here as well

http://touringcarracing.net/Pages/1990%20AJTCC.html

https://www.driverdb.com/championships/standings/japanese-touring-car-championship/1990/

still hunting for more pics  :)

No more pics sorry, to really delve into the japanese google website you need someone to translate the words, had this problem before which is why so little info is out the about the japanese championships, but the above should be a start :D

Hi Andy , you at the show on Thursday mate , if you are i may be able to help ( possibly ) .

there is a Book , the bible of JTCC GpA period ,ive only ever seen one edition of it at Alex's but it has all the cars and liveries of all the races in the 88-?? 92 maybe period . We did a quick trawl thru it when trying to verify his Trampio cars liveries as they changed a bit over the years .

Paul S , initially Trampio used a RHD Rouse Car for the first part of 88 but it proved unreliable , it was replaced by a  New build Eggenberger car for Klaus in '89 but there was also a LHD Rouse car that was used in different livery , im not sure if this was converted or a later fresh build rouse car .

Would be interesting to know .

Hi Guys

Yikes, I'm busy on this forum tonight, this is my 3rd post.

Firstly Andy, I can't really help you with any history re your car. Baynards Motor Co was Laurance's company and was named after the family estate which was Baynards Park, which was nearly half of Cranleigh in Surrey, really, it had it's own monorail track! Laurance moved to a small village behind Thruxton called Kimpton in the eraly 90's but moved from there some years ago. I believe he lives in London now but I have not spoken to him since 1992. As far as I know he does not have anything to do with motorsport now but is still a member of the BRDC. If you wanted to contact him you could ask them to forward a letter for you.

Now the Rouse cars, they were not all the same. My car was known as a Rouse car because we bought all the suspension, engine and components from him, but Roger Dowson built my shell himself and it was different from a Rouse built car, as was the engine installation and fuel delivery system and the breather system. It was also different inside, a lot neater to start with. The Rouse built cars were all a little bit agricultural and basic, my car was much more like the cars Graham Goode built, i.e finished to show standard. I also had different seat belts and dash, all which were colour coded !! Detail my good man, it's all in the detail !! But seriously from what I can remember not all the Rouse cars were the same as each one he built seemed a bit better than the last one which is logical if you think about it. We also used different air jacks that worked so fast that the car was left suspended in the air before crashing down. Our fuel tank set-up was also different and the installation was neater when viewed from the inside and had a painted aluminium cover over the whole lot. The chassis number was also stamped into the chassis itself and not on a plate, at the request of HMRC ! So I'm not sure it is possible to identify every Rouse car as the same even the cars that were built at his premises in Coventry, I know one was even a converted Merkur from 1986. Better keep that to myself!!

Jerry

Thanks jerry ! It's just seems strange for it to disappear like it did with no trace .....  I also agree that a riveted plate can be changed ! But to see the layers of paint on the car & when repairing it you get down to the original colours is quite reassuring :-)

Tony I'm hoping to get to NEC not sure when hoping to meet up with Jim Whelan  etc  but I'll give you a ring later today.

Thanks everyone Andy

i  try  2  days  in  u tube  to  find  ,    onboard  lap  in  macau  guia  with  the  nuber  2  rs500,,,,,and  a  second  video  off  highlite,s  with  the  same  car,  to  spin  out  with  no  damage  ,,,,,  i  can find it  ,,,,,,,must  be  delete  but i  remeber  in  the  sentre  console  near  the  have  lokated    a  big  turbo  gauge

Hi Andy

It does seem odd now that cars did seem to disappear, but you have to remember for a long time you could not give them away. For example Andy (Rouse's) car was for sale for many years for 20k and languished in the Coventry Museum for a long time because Andy could not find anyone to buy it. Andy's was one of the most famous RS 500's but know body wanted them. This is why a lot of them were turned into Thundersaloons and worse, or even broken up for parts.

Even the best RS500 road cars were worth sub 20k for many years, that is why I never got round to restoring my road car because the end value just did not  justify the expense of the restoration. I wrongly believed that the price would never go up ever as they had a terrible reputation as 'young idiots' car, it was alright when they were brand new, but as soon as the prices dropped all the wrong people got them, plus they were always getting nicked and if you drove one you always got stopped by the police. I wouldn't have been seen dead driving a Cosworth in the 90's, I had moved on to M3's by then and drove those for 15 years, but I wouldn't drive an M3 now, to old , to fat !

Of course it is a different situation now with values so high they are owned by true enthusiasts who love and cherish them like you guys on here. The Sierra Cosworth and RS 500 represented a very important and happy time in my life, accordingly my road car will get restored, probably next year. I have 9 Classic cars and it has to wait it's turn!

I am making progress with trying to trace my race car, but it's a long job, with many dead ends, I am lucky I know so many people and the ones I don't know are at least prepared to talk to me, but this may ultimately end in disappointment anyway. However if I have the opportunity to find that car, or what's left of it, I would like to return it to the condition it deserves to be in and preserve it for the future.

Jerry