Sign in to follow this  
RS 500 Registrar

Help and info on a car needed

I have been contacted by the new owner of the FINA rs500 race car

He sys the car started life as the Crystal ford car driven by Bob sands in those colours

The car was then placed into the more well known FINA colours and driven by Van kouwen ( spelling )

Later driven late in the 90 season by Chris Hodgets

any info on this car would be great

cheers Paul

Did some digging, if I am correct this is the CC Motorsport/Crystal Facilities Ltd car of Bob Sands in early 88.

Edited by RSRoy
Removed the pics because of wrong car

Indeed...haven't looked at that  :o

However, this must be the car Bob Sands drove. Numbers and location match with the results on the Touring Car History page BTCC 88 season.

The no17 car I posted above isn't the Bob Sands car afterall.

It's the Bornebusch Racing car with drivers Kaj Bornebusch and Ulf Larsson that competed in the ETCC.

Found 2 more in Thundersaloon form:

3585190982_4bafd64234_b_zpscdd823db.jpg

[img width=800 height=525]http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad295/RSRoy/Temp/3584373791_cec97cffe9_b_zps13ede187.jpg

this car looks very like if not identical to the one I raced about 10 years ago, heavily modified with atlas ff rear axle and capri grp1 struts on front. ended up breaking it , still have most of the parts/body panels, the interesting thing was the shell had all the airjack points etc , but it was too modified to put back to sierra floorpan so I sold it on 

btyhvrth.jpg

Alastair-McMillan.jpg

Wasn't this the car that ran active suspension for a while in the btcc?

Sorry no extra pics to add, Roy has covered any I have.

Interesting Aly, so it sounds like the current owner of your old shell wants to put the car back to btcc spec?

A guy posted a thread up on passionford a while back trying to find out info on a thunder salon shell he had, it has a Capri axle and struts so most probably your old shell ally, but looking at the shell it would take massive amounts of work to put back to original.

that  active  suspension  is  a  urban  legend,,,,,,  i  dont  se  anyware  a  pic  off  this  suspension  ,  and  the  gra  rules  say  no  to  alter  suspension  point  ,,,,,

Pretty sure Murray Walker commented on it at the time in one of the races, and I have read it a number of times since, I could not figure out how it was able to be done within the rules either.

i  read  many  years  ago  about  it  in  tentenths  forum,,,,,,,,,  not  even  a  foto,,,,  i  dont  now  how  is  able  to  do  this  against  the  rules      ,,,,,,active  suspension  is  like  f1  you  need  serius  modification  too  the  struts  wisbones  ,,,,  you  never  now ,,,,,, but  i  am  waiting  somwone  to  post    that  suspension  ,,

I asked Chris Hodgetts about this ( as he drove the car ) and his words were

and i quote ,,

yep,its true. a kind of 'active' system,and it was pretty good tbh,I finished 4th at Silverstone with the car,and could have won it I think,but had a small engine problem for the last few laps.

Always great to get it from the drivers

Chris is a great bloke and always willing to help / chat

Hi Guys

Happy New Year to you all.

I can help you with this car, it was definitely Bob Sands old car that was originally a Rouse shell and kit of parts. The car was run in 89 by JQF Engineering who operated out of Lord Heskeths premises near Towcester. The car definitely ran a form of early active suspension when Gerrit drove the car in 89. I believe, if my memory serves me right (could be doubtful!!) that the car had some engineering/electrical input from Williams GP.

The suspension was extremely problematic and used to 'throw' Gerrit off the track on occasions. Likewise occasionally it did work and would transform the handling of the car, but this was rare.

The main budget came from Fina, who were Gerrit's sponsor and although it was a reasonable chunk of money it was not enough to run an RS500 BTCC team at that time so they were always struggling financially.

Gerrit had raced in the same series as a lot of us in 1987, which was the Production/Group N series, this was the main stay of Saloon car racing in the UK until 1988 when the BTCC really took off with big budget teams. In 1987 Gerrit drove one of two BMW M3's entered under the 'Fina' banner which were very fast, competitive and well run. The second car was driven by Robin Brundle (Martin's brother). In the 24 hour race that year they gave us Cosworths a very hard time in terms of pace as they did not have to pit so often to replace their brakes and refuel, forcing us to run the 24hour at 'sprint' pace. I shared one of the 2 Firestone Cosworths with Tim Harvey.

I do still see Gerritt from time to time and saw him only six months ago at the Neil Cunningham's fund raising day, he was and still is a good chap. There is a good bit of film taken at Donington in the 89 BTCC when Smithy punts him into the gravel at Redgate, he manages to get back on the circuit and seeks his revenge, quite funny but the stewards were not that impressed!

As far as I remember the suspension mods did not infringe any of the regs at the time, although I am sure that if the car had started winning the protests would have started flying. 

jerry