Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RS 500 Registrar

Could my car have run in Texaco colours

22 posts in this topic

Well after looking at many many pics kindly sent to me by Roy i have noticed that most of the LUI cars ran with fuel breaks in the usuall place

010lui_zpsed92f01e.jpg

Now mine has them in the rear pillar

Luirestopics001_zps9492dfc3.jpg

luind_zps5a8f9ce8.jpg

same as this car

4055398248_52f6a0897clui_zps7da5a7f3.jpg

4054657655_239c39e650mylui_zpsbf032c6b.jpg

all other lui cars i have seen pictures of are all in the normal place apart from this car ,

this is a Ringhausen car in Texaco colours , its well known that some of the ringhausen cars ran in Texaco colours so wondered if this is mine as the fuel breaks are in the same place as my car

Poor pic but you can see the fuel breaks , plus the same mirrors as mine and all the others in texaco colours ran the uauall DTM mirrors

88nied01texacoringhausen_zpsd9ddd065.jpg

I hope we can prove this is my car  8)

WOW!

That's a significant marker and would make it easy to distinguish the cars.

That position is very unusual!

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what relationship did Ringhausen have with Reudi? customer/affiliate?

Cant help but notice the cage configuration is similar but is this just Eggenberger spec?

A few questions I would want answered for provenance:

How many Ringhausens were there, how many ran the pillar dry break?

Also see if there were any pillared Ringhausens running at the same time that, that particular Texaco car was running.

Were there any other Texaco cars running dry break there?

Even try to find any/all cars of any breed that ran the dry break there. This would narrow down the field!!

If when you answer all these and check other sundries like air jack lance position, roll cage configuration, bonnet pins, boot tiedowns, etc. track down every single event that pillared Texaco car ran in and see if there is any accident damage that may correlate and most importantly, check if the 2 cars ever existed at the same time.

What is the timeline of the 2 cars?

ie. the Texaco was early and then never appeared again and then Ringhausen customer car appeared shortly after?

I have 2 contemporary articles of the Moffat ANZ Reudi cars. One categorically states "Moffat has bought the car that just won Spa" (or the like) , and another says it is definitely a 'new build'. The car moffat ordered was always going to be white, however it is painted black inside? I have sent these to Rob that owns the cars but haven't spoken to him for a while to see his opinion.

Colin Bond drove no less than 4 different rs500's in Caltex colours! 2 of these had previous histories!

The list goes on so it would be nothing out of the ordinary for your car to have been sold off or borrowed by Reudi.

You have the right level of scepticism to find the truth either way Paul and you know that the true history cant be changed  no matter what people want or don't want it to be.

Good luck mate and I really hope it does turn out to have this double history as so many of the Aussie cars do!!

All of the above is exactly what we are trying to find out now

All the same questions is what i need answers to ,

I am 100% my car is the one in the above pics in Lui colours tho as every bit of build detail is 100% the same as my car .

4055398248_52f6a0897clui_zps7da5a7f3.jpg

lui_zpsc46e9ac1.jpg

How cool is it to compare pics from back in the day , and today , you can see very detail parts like the fuel filler tubes / bottle etc , plus the way the boot is boxed in is 100% correct

The research goes on  8)

Mate that's fantastic news!

It may be somewhat quicker to see if there is any other group A car with that filler configuration at all. Probably count them on one finger?

This would narrow the field And as you say give 100% provenance .

For those texacophiles, would this mean there was seven cars that ran in eggenberger livery or is this one of the six?

Green with envy mate

Ps will you be deliberating for long about which livery to present it in?

That lui livery or texaco..... Nevermind  ; :)

there was 6 official Texaco cars that we all know and we know the chassie numbers

there was also cars run by Ringshausen in Texaco livery ( steve soper drove one of them ) they are easy to spot as they have different livery and different colour red stickers ,

all of the DTM texaco cars we ringshausen cars with  (i thought) the fuel breaks in the usuall place , but the above pic shows one car with them like mine , this is why i think its my car

4055398118_415cb9bc8blui_zpsea6321f4.jpg

1463206_670014263032886_1784861789_nlui_zpsc0c0ad0d.jpg

niedzea1lui_zpscde12d88.jpg

Easy to see the differance between the EGGMO and RINGSHAUSEN texaco cars

All of the above pics are ringshausen cars , even the soper car , not eggmo

Another interesting point is the chassie number of my car is a number inbetween the 87 and 88 egmo texaco cars  ;)

Be good to find out for sure Paul

If it is does that mean you will put it in Texaco Livery?

I sure would mate , altho i love the Lui livery , a texaco car is a texaco car  8) 8) 8)

My dear Watson if there is no other car in period that ran that fuel rig, by power of deduction it would mean it would be the most probable.

Thx for the crash course on  texacos Paul. I had no idea the DTM cars weren't Reudis! Thought they just had different livery.

I am not superclued on euro cars that don't have Aussie history.

Do the three cars below have dry break in quarter panel or is my iPad playing up.

The first pic with the car in the DTM field . What year is that.

Cancel your day, setup the laptop on a seat next to your new baby and trawl for photos with quarter panel fuel fillers!! :o

I'll try to find more pictures of the Ringshausen cars in Texaco livery. It's not that easy though :)

However, I would keep your car in Lui colours. The only cars that should be in Texaco colours are the Eggenberger cars if you ask me. For some reasone I always find the Ringshausen Texaco cars looking like bad replica's :P

I will have a hunt through my pics Paul, but the fuel filler in that location is pretty unique from memory.

Your car has the classic egmo BMW road car plastic breather bottle (up where the fuse box is on a RHD car) does it run just the 4 big injectors like the egmo engines? the fly in the ointment is the Wolf header tank, but that may have been a later German addition as egmo just used the standard ford plastic one from what I recall.

I dont think egmo supplied customer cars whilst he ran the factory supported Texaco outfit, once that contract ended I imagine he then could, maybe your car was one of the first customer ones based on spares from the egmo Texaco period.

Same as yours  8)

ninco_50600_sierra_rs500_reuter_dtm_zps9defe9cb.jpg

4054656959_dac7b6be99_zps2a55c785.jpg

4054657655_239c39e650_zps586ef730.jpg

These are the only Texaco versions I have but not the same location for the filler

4054657077_8bc65ff06c_zpscb09393b.jpg

4055398118_415cb9bc8b_zps38eca4bb.jpg

Interesting though that your car has the same location in the wiper grille for the emergency releases that egmo always used.

When trying to establish the history of the Texaco painted car that turned up at Le Mans I remember Martyn saying that egmo built a demo car for Ford with the fuel filler in a different location, and that car has not been seen since?

I sure would mate , altho i love the Lui livery , a texaco car is a texaco car  8) 8) 8)

I agree Paul.

Lui is great livery but texaco is recognised the world over.

Hi Paul, i was talking to my friend in Germany who owes a LUI car and i asked him about that Texaco picture, he asked me to whatsapp it to him so i did. He called me back and said he thinks that a picture of his car he also has the same fuel break position.

He told me his was the first LUI car made, he bought it direct from ringhausen and has all correct paperwork and proof of him buying it direct, the only way ringhausen would sell him it was he had to buy the merkur ti and all remaining parts which he did, hence him having all them spares, his going to send me pictures of his car for me to post on here along with pictures of his MSA book or whatever they call it in Germany this shows the car in Texaco colours and details of the races it competed in.

He also told me in the last 3 races of the season a driver called Michael Rueter (Spelling) drove it in Texaco colours.

Hi paul

Some really compelling evidence there I hope it is the texaco car  what about a time line you to simon to ted  worse case you have a fantastic car one of the best in Europe  best case a world beater

Ian

I have tried to help Paul over the last couple of days with finding info. Translating from German website etc.

When I had my 3dr for sale ealier this year I was contacted by a German guy, his last name was Ringshausen adn he owned a Ford dealership in Butzbach. I never sold the 3dr to him because he was 1 day to late. I never linked his last name to the racing team of the 80s. But when Paul bought the Lui car I searched for his email address again and sent the guy an email. They indeed were the Ringshausen raceteam in the 80s. The dealership is now run by the son of the owner of the racingteam. And ofcourse I have asked him if Pauls car was the same as the Texaco car pictured with awkward placed fuel filler.

we are still trying to work out what car is what

I am really looking forward to the info Mark gets from his Friend!

Hi Roy, ive got the pictures on my phone ill upload them later when im back home.

My friend tells me the father is crazy in the head (maybe means dementia) so getting information from him will be impossible. Hopefully the sun can help out with tracing Pauls history.