Sign in to follow this  
bent65

Ford Motorsport ID plates

Hi guys. I have been wondering for awhile  if any others have still got the original ID plates on their Group A cars.

I have noticed that one of Chris DJR (4 i think?) cars has one but haven't seen others?

They were attached on the front radiator support panel with the details of shipment and level of finish.

Ie. primered finish, shipped to Daventry . No attachments etc...

I have an early 1987  pic somewhere of one of the 87 DJR cars with one on it also.

Would think them unusual as front damage is common and no real reason for teams to refit the plate.

Cheers Ben.

I have seen a few versions on the early shells as some were originally Merkurs etc, but most seem to have been removed. The 89 shells were numbered as well but very few of them ever saw service as race cars in the end.

olliebaiely_0009_zps0873dc0b.jpg

558B58E9-214C-49CD-89D8-F01C73768E77-12358-0000060DDF2832E6_zpsc9891b41.jpg

and an 89 spec one

T2eC16JHJHgE9n0yEYr6BQYGMmE-g60_12_zpsc243167b.jpg

Afraid not James, I think one of those above is yours? I have loads of the 909 shell ones but very few of those were ever used as racers in the end. Have a few escos motorsport ones as well

The first shells were being prepared mid 1986.

I cant speak for the Euro cars but  I know the late Don Smith bought shells from Andy Rouses first batch and shipped whole cars in bits to OZ in July or August 1986.  The OXO team had one car completed in Oct  '86 the second shortly after and were entertaining the idea of entering Bathurst '86 if Ford had homologated them in time. These predate DJR by some months. The first car #35 was on display at the 1986 F1 GP with their merchandise etc already for sale.

I am currently restoring these first 2 cars and they still have their consecutively numbered Motorsport ID tags, which is why I was curious as to what other cars still retained them.

I have an '87 photo of one of the DJR with its ID plate still on it at that time. It looks and should be an early plate.

I still haven't worked out how to post scans or hi res pics but have heaps of stuff to share when I can.

cheers Ben.

The first cars were the ex press fleet that were then converted for the Securicor challenge, I know these shells differed from the production ones in a number of areas, next time I spot one at a show I will try to take a pic of any tags. they were road shells though that just has the solid roofs added later.

One of the guys in NZ has an early car I will send him a message to see if he can take a pic of his tag.