Sign in to follow this  
Capri Carl

Ford Motorsport 9"Diff

Hi Guys,

I am getting the diff on my TDR Sierra rebuilt at moment and changing ratio, are these a true ford 9" crown wheel and pinion?

I had ordered a new CWP and the pinion came with a nose on the end of the gear end , this is extra support on the traditional ford 9"centre of a live axle. My 9"Ford Motorsport diff does not have this. Holinger gear boxes are doing the rebuild of the diff and are saying it has a different hypoid angle as well, they say it may be an 8.8" diff.

Does anybody know??

Cheers, Carl

Afternoon Carl,

the English 9" and the Aussie Harrop 9" use different crown wheel and pinion's, the English version CW&P are quite difficult to get in the best ratio's and are expensive, the Harrop type are easy and cheap with a massive range of ratio's.

I haven't had any experience with the 8.8" version sorry.

Andy

Andy is correct. The Motorsport diff was designed for the sierra with its own cw&p. They were almost unused here is aus by the locals so rare. The Harrops were designed by Ron and DJ to use a run of the mill 9 " cw&p on a spool. It may be a Motorsport unit that won't interchange. Get one of the guys in uk to send dimensions on Motorsport gears to confirm.

Cheers ben

Hi Carl ,

theyre completely different animals but both called the same thing in their own territories .

the Ford Motorsport 9" european diff has its own UK 909 components, the Aussie 9" ( as i understand it ) is a live axle unit fitted to a bespoke Harrop case made locally to you .

this is the Harrop

T2eC16JsE9swmvm4BRJcJthw60_57.jpg

T2eC16JyUE9s6NEH1BRJcCr1s60_57.jpg

And the good old UK Ford 9" Diff

9001e.jpg