Sign in to follow this  
lee2cossies

How many cars did andy rouse build/ drive for btcc

Watching some old videos of the btcc and got me me thinking how many 500's did andy build and drive as a team in btcc? Obviously the 2 kaliber cars 88, not sure if same cars for 89? Then the 90 ics cars possibly new builds? Hope someone can shed some light .

more  than 40  all  over  the  world  ,,,,,,,  in  btcc    the  caliber  ,,,the  ics  the  labbats,,,,,  some  cars  is  the  same  from  year  to  year  diferent  sponsors,,,,,,,,  like  the  rob gravett  istel  car  ,,,,  some  times  even  the  rouse  dont  remeber    the  person  where  he  sold  the  kit  of    rs500 gpa    ...

In an article in motorsport a few years back he is quoted as saying he built over 20 cars and 100 engines.

A lot of the cars were recycled though, even the XR4Ti from 85 ended up as a 3dr then a 500 so it often looks like he built even more especially as they got re liveried quite a few times throughout a season.

Some period build pics

0011_zps780d94b3.jpg

0012_zps7bf44bce.jpg

File0032_zps9cb6ffb3.jpg

File0028_zps26b1491d.jpg

This one was originally a Ti

BQPLTfBWkKGrHgoOKjIEjlLmYd13BJ30EZDQ_1_zps1ce55b1f.jpg

Great pics paul havnt seen them before! There must still be some cars out there then that are hidden away hopefully to be discovered one day.

Did andy keep records of the builds or not?

Was trying to make out how many cars he built for himself in the btcc along with guy edwards.

I would love to claim them, but they turned up on the RSOC site a few years ago.

I was told Andy Rouse does not really look back on the past and is a property developer these days, I imagine all that info was lost when he shut up shop years ago.

Pretty sure the Motorcraft 3dr above which was originally a Ti then became the ANZ RS500 and was then later converted to LHD for the French championships before Martin ended up with it, and its now back to RHD and back down in Aus.

Great info as always paul!

The xr4ti merkurs have a Sierra floor pan but with lots of strengthening added on top to comply with u.s safety regulations. Their a fair bit heavier too. Maybe andy based his btcc xr4ti on a British xr4i and converted it to lhd? Our xr4s have the same floor pans as a cosworth.

The TI is a lot differant from a cossie shell

they are wider track at the back ( circa 15mm ) , the rear boot floor is special , they have a full length chassie , plus the front knee section ( where the ARB  bolts ) is also special

I try and get some pics of the Merker i have sat in the yard

PAUL