Sign in to follow this  
Capri Carl

BTCC Terry Drury Racing Sierra

Jim I will post up a dedicated thread for you and then send a link to some of the guys I have come across from down under over the years who have an interest in RS500s, hopefully it will filter around over time to owners in both countries and gather momentum.

I will put you down as the main contact, as you have far more knowledge in the logistics in this field than me, but happy to help out.

Jim I will post up a dedicated thread for you and then send a link to some of the guys I have come across from down under over the years who have an interest in RS500s, hopefully it will filter around over time to owners in both countries and gather momentum.

I will put you down as the main contact, as you have far more knowledge in the logistics in this field than me, but happy to help out.

Thanks Paul

Lets just see what happens it may all just come to nothing or it may all happen .....

Paul I would love you to help on this project and anyone else with any info would be great as well.

Cheers Jim

Carl I would say those are the original arms used in the cars BTCC days as they look to have been modified from rally spec to suit the extended RS500 beam angle.

Have some pics of standard 909 rally mag arms somewhere, will dig them out and post them up for you.

Hi Paul,

Do you think TDR would of used the more expensive mag arms as opposed to , I guess, cheaper steel ones??

When i was in the UK 12 months ago I called in and met Andrew from ATM motorsports in Essex, he seemed to remember selling arms to Kenneth Hansen in the early '90s ( who knows, long time ago!!)

TDR seemed to be more of a smaller budget team, with 4 stud wheels instead of centre locks etc.

My guess it would of been more economical to buy a set of steel arms from Rouse.

Also the alloy cage seemed to be identical to the early Rouse style.

Thanks for the pics

Cheers

Carl 

Hi Carl

It would make sense if they used steel arms, but then again if they had gone that route why not go centrelock at the same time, plus your front end is rally spec as well. These cars evolved so much over the years it must be frustrating to tie it all down.

The only thing I can think of is they maybe used a damaged donor rally car. I know one ex rally car did compete in a couple of Btcc events in 87 I think it was at the Silverstone GP.

Specfab built all the Rouse shells I was told, maybe they remember building the TDR cars as well, they are still trading, I think this is them :-

http://manufacturing.zibb.co.uk/profile/specfab+(pershore)+ltd/gb/worcestershire/pershore/wr10+2dd/25907471

Terry Drury was still trading up until a few years ago, I will see if I can find his number in an old motorsport mag. I have to go up the attic to get the chrimbo decorations down so will hunt through my boxes at the same time. You never know whoever took over the premises may have kept the number or have contact details.

Thanks Paul, that would be great.

Not sure about the ex rally car, as all three TDR cars had the 4 stud wheels.

The 1988 car that Harvey drove and then driven by Mike O'Brien went to Nigel Mustill and he raced it as a Thundersaloon. I emailed him and he returned a few emails, one of the questions I asked him was about the arms he said they were definatly steel arms when he got it.

He was going to send some pics but never has, he seemed interested initialy.

Graham Hatherways RS500 also had the 4 stud wheels, If you look at photos of his RS500 you will see the cutout on the front wing for electrical cutout and fire supression is a similar to TDR. 2 holes with a cutout between. Not like the Rouse, slanted sides. I believe TDR and Graham Hathaway were close in location around Essex??

So it wouldn,t suprise me if there was some tie up between the two.

Some things may never be found out!!!!!

Cheers

Carl 

hi carl

i know the feeling i have been restoring a road car now for over 20 years slow going something always comes up this time its the rs 500s

i would love to bring djr home hopefully we can sort out some racing down there not been to aus since the 80s so would love to go back there as had a ball

ian

hi carl

i know the feeling i have been restoring a road car now for over 20 years slow going something always comes up this time its the rs 500s

i would love to bring djr home hopefully we can sort out some racing down there not been to aus since the 80s so would love to go back there as had a ball

ian

I can see DJR2 hitting the race track again Ian  :)

just dont bend it  ;)

Hi paul, Great to hear you found this site,  bet you have some great stories! I have a hundred questions to ask you about my TDR RS500. Do you have any pictures? I saw your post on tentenths re cutting the rear trailing arms.  Were they Rouse arms or did you make up your own? Any memories would be great to hear.

I get the motor back from the rebuilders next week, Then get the ECU sorted and on a dyno.

Cheers, Carl

Hi All,

Bit of an update,

Engine is back from builder, had a new loom made and a Motec M84 added.

Getting the intercooler re cored at moment, when its finished it will go on the dyno.

photo_55.jpg

photo_56.jpg

photo_52.jpg

photo_53.jpg

photo_54.jpg

You can see the Coopers Ring gasket being used, as this is how it was with TDR

Also have the wheels all painted and polished, here is a sneek peek of them mocked up against the body

photo_49.jpg

photo_50.jpg

Cheers, Carl

Looks great Carl

just one thing tho ,, the water pipes on the turbo are back to front , the top metal pipe that points away from the engine is the other side that goes to the thermo housing

Plus the oil return pipe is on the wrong way round

Paul

400turbo007_zps8e82f65c.jpg

rs500engine013.jpg

Looking good.

Can you tell me what dimensions the wheels are?

Are the fronts different to the rears?

I have a set of the centres myself so need to know the barrel sizes and what the overall offsets are you have.

Thanks.

The Wheels are 17"x 9" , Inner barrels are 7" wide and outers are 2" wide, all four wheels are the same.

Cheers, Carl

Looks great Carl

just one thing tho ,, the water pipes on the turbo are back to front , the top metal pipe that points away from the engine is the other side that goes to the thermo housing

Plus the oil return pipe is on the wrong way round

Paul

400turbo007_zps8e82f65c.jpg

rs500engine013.jpg

Thanks Paul, Has been rectified, Turbo guy had them on wrong way!!!

Cheers,Carl

The Wheels are 17"x 9" , Inner barrels are 7" wide and outers are 2" wide, all four wheels are the same.

Cheers, Carl

Thankyou.

Do you know what offset they are as I wondering if my centres are exactly the same as yours or if you could just measure from the hub face to the outer rear rim lip that would be a great help.

Cheers

Tim.

Do you know what offset they are as I wondering if my centres are exactly the same as yours or if you could just measure from the hub face to the outer rear rim lip that would be a great help.

Cheers

Tim.

Cheers

Tim.

Hi Tim,

The measurement is 135mm hub face to rear rim lip.

Cheers,

Carl