Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
b8 gal

500 Back on the road

10 posts in this topic

Finally got my car back on the road after a engine failure. After only 1300 miles my engine pulled a head stud out and cracked the block. After removing the engine and closely looking at the studs i found that the thread for the studs was badly cut and making the studs very loose when screwed in. So i spoke to Harvey Gibbs who built and dynode the engine and he wasn’t really interested. I told him that Armid had road mapped it and was running fine but he basically said it was running too much boost thats why the head stud pulled out. so i carried on and put right all the things in which was wrong,bearing in mind this engine was built and dynoed at Harveys in the first place. Now its all finished and runs perfect and produces 567bhp so I’m a happy chappy for now. Also whilst i was waiting i treated myself to some new wheels too as i got feed up cleaning my cxns.

IMG_0570_zps8c377b1b.jpg

It was dynod at tommy fields

SPEC

FULL NICKEL SEAL LINERS

10 STUDS

WRC RODS

OMEGA PISTONS

8.6:1 COMP

WRC HEAD GASKET

FULL RACE BEARINGS

HP OIL PUMP

MODIFIED WATER PUMP

BAFFELED SUMP

PORTED HEAD 26MM AND 25MM

TOMMY FIELD OWN SPEC CAMS

DOUBLE VALVE SPRINGS

T4 ROLLER BEARING TURBO

8 GREEN INJECTORS

As for the failure i spoke to Harvey as i bought the car with the engine and was told harvey built it. But the engine was built by PJ motorsport and Harvey put it on he’s dyno and wasn’t happy with the bottom end. Harvey then stripped the bottom end and rebuilt it but i don’t know if the studs was done by Harvey or PJ motorsport. Anyway i also had it road mapped by Armid and he set the boost higher than i was expecting but i did question him about this and he said thats fine. So now Armid said it was fine Harvey said it wasn’t so who’s right and who’s wrong ? Also the pistons that was used by Harvey had 22mm gudgeon pins where a standard cosworth has 24mm so i believe, but all i know i couldn’t find another piston like it.So in the end i stripped the engine myself and let tommy field sort out all the problems with what was right and what was wrong. Now i know whats in the engine and know tommy will guarantee he’s work without passing the buck so at the end of the day its easy to blame someone else.

That looks mint on the th's comps. Have u got any more pics?

Strange about the engine, iv dealt with Harvey a few times and recently he built a rs500 engine for my mate, always been perfect, I won't go any where else. He's a very busy man tho so it's hard to get hold of him. Least your engine is sorted now, that very good power fair play!

Indeed, I've only just Harvey (mainly Jimbo) for advice and some little stuff but they are always spot on. Usually don't hear anything bad from SCS.

Atleast you have your car back up and running! Please post more pictures  8)

As for the failure i spoke to Harvey as i bought the car with the engine and was told harvey built it. But the engine was built by PJ motorsport and Harvey put it on he’s dyno and wasn’t happy with the bottom end. Harvey then stripped the bottom end and rebuilt it but i don’t know if the studs was done by Harvey or PJ motorsport. Anyway i also had it road mapped by Armid and he set the boost higher than i was expecting but i did question him about this and he said thats fine. So now Armid said it was fine Harvey said it wasn’t so who’s right and who’s wrong ? Also the pistons that was used by Harvey had 22mm gudgeon pins where a standard cosworth has 24mm so i believe, but all i know i couldn’t find another piston like it.So in the end i stripped the engine myself and let tommy field sort out all the problems with what was right and what was wrong. Now i know whats in the engine and know tommy will guarantee he’s work without passing the buck so at the end of the day its easy to blame someone else.

A 22mm pin piston is easy to get any Cosworth tuner should be able to get them.

To much boost pulling a stud out never seen that even at 43psi on a GTX4202, Lifting heads yes after I had the head studs tested we upgraded them as they were not strong enough.

Mark