Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Kirkley

Cam shipping 1988 BTCC car " Rouse built "

Lovely original car you have Andrew :)

In the "The RS500 version of the Ashes-Calling all owners of original RS500 touring cars" I've red something that all cars who want to race in Australia need to be in their original livery. Are you up for getting the car back in it's original Cam Shipping livery in the future?

Morning Roy

Yes you are right Roy as far as I have found out at the moment the cars have to run in original livery.......

And that is in a lot of other countries not just Australia.......

Andy it looks like you will have to get the paint brush out And learn painting by numbers. !! Lol

Cheers Jim

Hi Andrew,

The pics look great,

Some questions!

Do you change springs often for different circuits? What poundage do you run F & R? What would be a good starting point?

Is the spring the same size(dia) on the back as the front?

Do you run a lot of camber on the rear? as seems to have a lot of packers in the inner pivot?

Jim and RSRoy are correct, part of the spectical is all the cars running their original liveries.

Cheers,

Carl

Hi Carl, yes do change springs but more for rain or dry, the set up on the car is pretty universal. I got the set up by going round & round a circuit on different Tyres adjusting camber springs & tyre pressures, until there was as near a even tyre temp. Across the whole tyre.

With the springs I have 6 sets the reason being that on the rear the spring is in it's original position so the springs are half there poundage eg 1000 = 500. So my springs go from 800 / 400 to 1350/ 675 so 6 sets become 12 they fit front or rear.

So at the moment fronts are ( if I remember ) 1050 rears 1350 ( 675 )

I run the car quite low to but sr

Till have the required 100mm ride height the rear spring is 25 mm lower but with adjustable platform I can get the ride right to.

Rear camber is a way up between grip & handling more camber + sqwat ( when you accelerate hard ) means you run more on the edge so you get wheelspin but compensate with stiffer springs & the right amount of rear toe & it will come out of the corner like rocket. But through the corners the camber will give good handling I will put the on board camera shots of my car at the Silverstone classic we had no brakes from the 2 nd lap but out of the corners & through the corners it caught up hand over fist !!

So with in mind 3 half rear camber with toe out & 3 3/4 front parallel toe good I could go on for another 5000 words but that will do oh 4 mm pack = 1 degree camber rear

SL382743_zps1f96d78f.jpg

hi carl, here is a picture of the back end showing strengthing bar oil coolers for the engine & rear diff. There are air scoups alloy square boxes that duct the air to the oil coolers left them off spend half the time refitting because there low 

andy

Hi Andrew,

The Pics are fantastic! shows me just what I need to do mine.

Are the springs fixed into the arms? It looks as if they are lowered through the arm slightly.

On the beam does the inner pickup us the extended RS500 pick up point?

Do you have a close up pic of the aluminium block with the spherical bearing in it on the inner pickup?

Thankyou for these pics, the are realy helpfull.

Cheers, Carl 

Hi Carl , glad I'm being of some help :D the rear springs sit in a dish which help them locate ! But if you have a mishap and go through the gravel trap then it's a lovely collecting point for the gravel & when you jack up the car the spring will just sit there . So must check no stones have got underneath it the gap with the suspension hanging is quite a lot infact enough to change the springs!

The rear inner joint is a rose joint screwed into a alloy block which has the two threaded holes sor the long bolts to go into which have the adjusting spacers ( I'll do a photo ) oh and that was your next question lol  ;)

Andy