Sign in to follow this  
racer

Dick Johnson RS500 - DJR1

Hi Paul, I take the car out now and then, I have done the Goodwood FOS a couple of times and the Cholmondeley POP along with the RSOC ND which I hope to do again this year.

Andy

Hello Andy

I saw your car at silverstone classic and ford fair,

it looked amazing real credit to you.

Just my opinion that if your lucky enough to have bbs splits then you should use them as it goes with the year it ran in the atcc.

Hope to see this car out again.

Kieran

Hi Kieran,

Thanks for your interest in my car, it was great to be at the Silverstone Classic although I have not been to Ford Fair I have been told it is a good day.

I run the car on the one piece DJR wheels as I like them.

I hope to see you at ND this year.

Andy

Hi Andy

Sorry I ment National Day, It's a great day but has gone down hill the last few years as it's rows of focus.

I was disapointed too with the small amount of RS500s but just my opinion.

They truely are stuning wheels and can see where you are coming from! Do you have the BBS wheels? Or photos with them on?

Just the other DJR cars are all runing on the dymags and would be amasing to see how they ran in the early years.

Cheers Andy see you at ND

Kieran

I'm with you Kieran, but them i'm just a massive split rim fan!!

But at end of the day this car is just totally stunning, & like you say credit to Andy for all the effort he has put into this car over the years, I remember seeing it and still got photo's somewhere from where Andy was racing it at brands in the 1990s, when it was white and red, had a chat with Andy on the day, and also had pleasure of seeing it out on track at the 10th anniversary for the rs500 at wroughton airfield, what a day that was!!!

I am now trying to buy a model of it over here in Oz for $600+!!Roughly £384!!!

I am so happy I bought mine a couple of years ago for a lot less then that. You know there are 2 Shell Sierra's diecast models. One with the BBS style wheels and one with the RS spokes or how they are called. The last one is even more expensive then the one you are looking at :)

Ok, sorry it's taken a while to post, but these take a while to put together. I'll also add some other photos and histories for other cars as I finish them. I take no responsibility for the accuracy of these details. If the owner of the car wants anythng removed from this post, just let me know.

Paul.

CAR DETAILS

CHASSIS NUMBER : DJR#1

CURRENT OWNER : Andy Lloyd

CURRENT LOCATION: UK

PREVIOUS OWNERS : DJR, Trakstar Racing, Graham Hathaway, Lester Stacey

NOTES:

1987: Built from a shell sourced from Europe as a RH drive car to RS Cosworth specifications. Raced in 9 rounds of the ATCC by Dick Johnson as #17, in red Shell Ultra-Hi/Palmer Tubetek livery.

Round 1: Calder Park Raceway 01/03/87- Qualified 2nd, Finished 9th

Round 2: Symmons Plains Raceway 08/03/87– Qualified 12th, Finished 9th

Round 3: Lakeside Raceway 05/04/87 – Qualified 8th, Finished DNF

Round 4: Wanneroo Park  26/04/87 – Qualified 4th, Finished 2nd

Round 5: Adelaide Int. Raceway 03/05/87 – Qualified 4th, Finished 1st

Round 6: Surfers Paradise Int. Raceway 31/05/87 – Qualified 1st, Finished DNF

Round 7: Sandown Park 07/06/87 – Qualified 5th, Finished DNF

Round 8: Amaroo Park Raceway 21/06/87 – Qualified 3rd, Finished DNF

Round 9: Oran Park Raceway 05/07/87 – Qualified 6th, Finished 3rd.

Australian Touring Car Championship result: 6th.

The car was then converted to RS500 specifications for the Endurance Series.

Sandown Park (Castrol 500) 13/09/87 – Driven by Dick Johnson & Gregg Hansford, qualified 1st, but an engine failure in warm up meant that the car did not start. Johnson and Hansford switched to the #18 car (DJR2).

Mount Panorama (Bathurst 1000) WTCC 04/10/87 – Driven by Dick Johnson & Gregg Hansford, qualified 9th but was penalized three spots for illegal fuel. Car only lasted 3 laps before retiring with a failed differential.

Calder Park Raceway (Calder 500)  WTCC 11/10/87 -  Driven by Dick Johnson & Gregg Hansford, qualified 4th, and then DNF’d after 25 laps due to a failed oil pump.

Wellington Street Circuit ( Wellington 500) WTCC 26/10/87 – For this race the car ran in the red DDB Needham livery. Driven by Dick Johnson & Gregg Hansford, qualified 32nd after a blown engine, and again DNF’d.

Australian Grand Prix (Support race) 15/11/87 – Driven by Dick Johnson, qualified 5th, finished 1st.

1988: Raced in 9 rounds of the ATCC by John Bowe as #18, in red Shell Ultra-Hi/Palmer Tubetek livery.

Round 1: Calder Park Raceway 06/03/88 – Qualified 2nd, Finished DNF

Round 2: Symmons Plains Raceway 13/03/88 – Qualified 3rd, Finished 2nd

Round 3: Winton Raceway 10/04/88 – Qualified 2nd, Finished 1st

Round 4: Waneroo Park 24/04/88 – Qualified 2nd, Finished 3rd

Round 5: Adelaide Int. Raceway 01/05/88 – Qualified 2nd, Finished 2nd.

Round 6: Lakeside Park Raceway 22/05/88 – Qualified 3rd, Finished DNF

Round 7: Sandown Park 29/05/88 – Qualified 2nd, Finished 2nd

Round 8: Amaroo Park 19/06/88 – Qualified 3rd, Finished 1st

Round 9: Oran Park 17/07/88 – Qualified 3rd, Finished 2nd

Australian Touring Car Championship result: 2nd

Sandown Park (Enzed 500) 11/09/88 – Driven by John Smith & Alfredo Costanzo, qualified 12th, finished 6th.

Mount Panorama (Bathurst 1000) 02/10/88 – Entered for John Smith & Alfredo Costanzo. Dick Johnson and John Bowe were cross entered. The car qualified 12th and John Smith started the race, but after both Johnson (#17 DJR4) and Bowe (#28 DJR3) retired, they both drove the car to finish in 2nd.

1989: The car was then sold to Trakstar Racing and shipped to the UK in early March. It was then raced in 13 rounds of the BTCC by Robb Gravett as #21, in red/white Cartel livery.

Round 1: Oulton Park 24/03/89 - Qualified 2nd, Finished 1st

Round 2: Silverstone Circuit 09/04/89 - Qualified 2nd, Finished 2nd

Round 3: Thruxton Circuit 01/05/89 - Qualified 8th, Finished 5th

Round 4: Donington Park 07/05/89 (One hour endurance race) Driven by Robb Gravett & Jeff Allam. Qualified 1st, Finished 2nd

Round 5: Thruxton Circuit 29/05/89 - Qualified 3rd, Finished DNF

Round 6: Silverstone Circuit 04/06/89 - Qualified 5th, Finished 1st

Round 7: Silverstone Circuit 16/07/89 - Qualified 4th, Finished 2nd

Round 8: Brands Hatch 23/07/89 - Qualified 1st, Finished 1st

Round 9: Snetterton Circuit 06/08/89 - Qualified 1st, Finished 1st

Round 10: Brands Hatch 20/08/89 - Qualified 2nd, Finished DNF

Round 11: Birmingham Superprix  28/08/89 - Qualified 1st, Finished 5th

Round 12: Donington Park 17/09/89 - Qualified 1st, Finished 2nd

Round 13: Silverstone Circuit 08/10/89 - Qualified 3rd, Finished 3rd

British Touring Car Championship Result: 3rd

1990: The car was then sold to Graham Hathaway who entered in 7 rounds of the BTCC, but only competed in 6. The car ran with the #12 in round 2 at Donington, before switching to #14 and a red/white Soans livery for the rest of the season.

Round 2: Donington Park 29/04/90 (One hour endurance race) Driven by Graham Hathaway & Mike Smith. Qualified 7th, Finished DNF (First lap crash)

Round 3: Thruxton Circuit 28/05/90 - Qualified 8th, Finished 3rd

Round 4: Silverstone Circuit 10/06/90 - Qualified 8th, Finished 5th

Round 5: Oulton Park 01/07/90 - Qualified 9th, Finished 6th

Round 6: Silverstone 15/07/90 - Entered but did not participate.

Round 7: Brands Hatch 22/07/90 (One hour endurance race) Driven by Graham Hathaway & Vince Woodman. Qualified 9th, DNF

Round 9: Brands Hatch 23/08/90 - Qualified 8th, did not start due to blown engine.

1991: As far as I’m aware, the only race the car competed in this year was the last round of the Malaysian Touring Car Championship in Johor. Driven by Graham Hathaway as #1, in red/white MACH 5 livery and finished 1st.

1992 & 1993: Graham Hathaway again competed in the Malaysian Touring Car Championship in both these years, finishing 1st in ’92 and 2nd in ’93.

1994 & 1995: The car was then sold to Lester Stacey who bought it back to the UK to compete in the UK Ford Saloon Car Championship and Thundersaloons (#46?).

1996: Sold to Andy Lloyd and raced in the UK Ford Saloon Car Championship as #21 in red/white livery. Andy managed 7 second place positions and 3 third place positions to finish 2nd in Class A for the Championship.

1997: Again raced by Andy Lloyd in the UK Ford Saloon Car Championship, taking 11 first place positions and 1 second place position, and winning the championship. This was the last time the car raced competitively.

The car was then restored in 2005 to the original Red Shell Ultra-Hi/Tubetek livery, and is still owned by Andy Lloyd to this day.

Early 1987, think it might be Calder.

1987DJRRSSierra.jpg

1987, Lakeside Raceway

1987Lakeside.jpg

1987 Australian F1 GP support race

1987AustralianGrandPrix.jpg

1988 Bathurst 1000

1988Bathurst.jpg

1989 Silverstone - Robb Gravett

1989SilverstoneBTCCRobbGravett.jpg

1990 Brands Hatch - Graham Hathaway

1990BrandsHatch-GrahamHathaway2.jpg

Glad you like it Andy. It's one of my all time favourite race cars and has a fantastic history. Do you have any photos of the car when Lester owned it?

Next up DJR2 :)

I'm happy to do the write ups in a similar fashion to the one posted above, but I'm going to need some help from others. I have a reasonable amount of info on Australian cars but no so much on the overseas cars.

Hey Guys.

I have scanned one of the very early DJR build articles and will try to post it.

I have put the scan as an attachment so if it doesn't work could someone let me know what best to do.

Andy I will email you a copy as it should print out well.

Also I will see if I have a double up of this mag as I went a bit crazy buying '87 & '88's.

cheers

No good it has said the file is too large.

its an A3 scan?

Early 1987, think it might be Calder.

1987DJRRSSierra.jpg

1987, Lakeside Raceway

1987Lakeside.jpg

First pic looks very early (as you say Calder Rnd1) as both cars are pre-500 and the OXO car has 16" Simmons on the front and no signage on front guard.

Great Photo! They look like personal photos not pro?

Hey Guys.

I have scanned one of the very early DJR build articles and will try to post it.

I have put the scan as an attachment so if it doesn't work could someone let me know what best to do.

Andy I will email you a copy as it should print out well.

Also I will see if I have a double up of this mag as I went a bit crazy buying '87 & '88's.

cheers

No good it has said the file is too large.

its an A3 scan?

Im crap with computers mate so cant help

Put a post up in General chat and ask for help , there will be some smart folk on here

Paul