Sign in to follow this  
PAUL S

Took an angle grinder to my F355 Challenge Ferrari today

I posted this on another forum but most of you dont use it

Ok I know, nothing to do with RS500s but we all love cars, its a bit quiet on the board, and its the worst "I have a ferrari thread" ever, but I am sure you will let me off

Never thought I would have the chance to chop up a ferrari.

Its going to be a body buck for another project. Apparently the owner lost it on a trackday and the marshals got a bit trigger happy with the jaws of life and whipped the roof off, he only had a sore neck in the end

Instant Cat B car as a result. It came with a load of bits but it had been thoroughly stripped before I got my spanners and grinder out.

2013-05-20100721_zpsa8423f7f.jpg

2013-05-20100715_zps639d3249.jpg

2013-05-20102507_zps875dac47.jpg

2013-05-20124435_zps6093c58a.jpg

Just need to figure out how to mount these and a load of other bits I have now  ;D

img8598medium_zps4c43a51d.jpg

F40rearclam-1_zpsa6321020.jpg

Ha  :) funnily enough Paul my postie spotted what it was straight away when he saw me working on it, but he is a car nut and has just bought himself a Cayman Sport S so we always chat cars.

Thanks Iain

the ferrari mob are pretty anal about messing about with such cars so I dont plan a build thread only for it to be slated on the net. I went through all that years ago when I built a brand new 3dr cosworth

This chassis is just a buck for making up a semi spaceframe mirroring the f40 chassis to allow all the bodywork to be hung and gapped. The 355 has the same wheelbase as an f40 which helps.

I have another undamaged full 355 chassis which has also be stripped of external panels and will form the basis of the project car to which the semi spaceframe will be fitted. Basically a correct f40 body on a 355

Engine is undecided yet, probably F430 or possibly a turboed 355

That really is a project!

Are you a big F40 fan (who isn't I suppose) that just wanted to find a way to replicate it, or was it just too good an opportunity to pass up?

I'm sure some of us fall into projects sometimes because we can't bear to see someone else do it!

Cheers

Iain

I am a big F40 fan Iain but they are well out of my budget, and always will be. This set of F40 panels came up for sale about 2 years ago and were fairly local so I went to take a look, and all of a sudden I owned them ! they came from an ex race F40 team, which is why the front is LM spec

Initially I thought of using a 328 as that's fairly close in ancestry to the f40 and they share the same windscreen and inner doors but they are slightly shorter in wheelbase so would need a stretch and the engine is transverse. I then discovered the 348/355 had the same wheel base as an F40 and a bare chassis came up for sale so I bought that then the damaged one also came up for sale with a load of bits which was to good to miss as well.

So its now found a place in my ever growing list of long term projects  :)

No I still have 499 tucked away, it wont be out much this year though as I have to much on my plate to find the time to use it, hopefully next year will be calmer.

I wont do a build thread but will take pics along the way of this project and happy to keep anyone interested updated with some by PM  :)

I love the thought that your project grew from buying some panels! That's ace..

I nearly bought some Lancia 037 panels about 5 years ago, which would have put me in the same boat.

Thankfully ( I think ) I was saved by a Sierra - but even that absorbed some cash and some. F355's are another league again..

Good luck with your project & keep us updated.

Cheers

Iain