Sign in to follow this  
Capri Carl

Zytek Engine Management

Is the Zytek ECU still viable for a Group A RS500????

Does anybody know if the Zytek is still servicable and supported?

My TDR Sierra has a Pectel ECU but the original Zytek came with it.

I would like to go back to original as in Aus we have to present good reason to make change.

Also it looks the part seeing the blue box in the dash

Does anybody have experiance with the Zytek unit??

Cheers, Carl

Hi Carl hope your well. I would say yes it is still ok !! That's what I run & car goes ok. Now there are quite a few over here that have changed to a more modern refined management system to make there cars reliable ( because zytek is 25 years old ) but we been ok. Yes the units are still serviceable have contact numbers in UK does yours have the two dials for mixture & ignition ?

Andy

Hi Andy,

All good over here, hope you are too.

It does have the two dials, for mixture & ignition, on the tag at the front has some numbers, em2 and an ARE number.

I don,t seem to have any loom with it, also there is a small die cast aluminium box with a connection at one end as well.

Those contact numbers would be great when you get a moment.

Now the dumb questions!!

Have you ever had to change mapping??

Do you know how to identify what eprom is in it??

Does the Zytek plug into the main ecu or do they work alongside ??

The unit that looks like an old mobile phone you have on your dash, I have one to in my car, does it work with the Zytek or is it just a temp gauge??

Cheers

Carl

Hi Carl hope you are well yes that is just a temperature gauge and not connected to the engine management system I have now got mine all working as well...

Regarding the Zytek engine management system I still have mine in my car so it looks very good and original but I would never run it as it is just to old ........

Andy still runs his but Andy will tell you it can be very hard to start the car and the car can misfire and not run very clean ..... I think nearly every other RS500 I have seen is now running aftermarket engine management systems....

With my Life engine management system you just put the ignition on and press the start button and it starts instantly you don't touch a thing.......

Every big engine builder in the UK only want to run more up to date engine management systems with new engines as they feel they don't have enough information or control over the engine when running the old Zytek system and cannot plug a laptop into it.......

I wanted to run the original Zytek system but Geoff Page would NOT build me a engine if I was to try and run it !!!!

My advice would be if you can afford a new aftermarket ECU you would be far better off and I think Andy would agree with that as we have had that conversation many a time.......

Ps..It has all gone very quiet your end regarding the trip to Australia next year for us have you heard anything Carl ??

Is this what you have Carl this is in my car ?

Cheers Jim

385843ffc595b0f03b25db0aaeaec7ea_zps3964e9df.jpg

Hi Carl

I have the same unit in my bmw and gave it to Andy  I agree with jim  the cost of these engines now you need to do all you can to protect them.

A newer Ecu will give you a lot more information so you can make better decisions on race day not to go quicker but to see if there is any small engine problems which may turn into big ones

Also I could only find one person to service the Zytec unit in the uk we had an over fuelling problem which was washing the bores. It took weeks to try and sort it out  we fitted a newer Ecu it took half a day to get the car right

We will be fitting a newer Ecu to Djr 2 so we can get feed back from the engine as we want the engine to last the season

Thanks Mark, I sent you a message back.

Hi Ian,

I have gone away from the Zytec, and got a MoTec M84. This seems to be widely used over here.

I had the motor rebuilt to same spec as it was, coopers ring head gasket etc,etc.

The guy who mapped it is a Brit by the name of Rob Benson, ex Walkinshaw UK, ex Holden Racing Team Aus.

Turns out he had a lot of eproms and info for the Zytec!

Anyway it made 465hp with 22lbs boost. Good enough for a start and getting used to turbo lag!!

My aim is to have the car ready for Bathurst race next Easter.

Cheers, Carl

Guys I have Zytek management. I am looking for the breakout box, this is the galvanised box (silver) normally has a din plug and 9 pin serial cable. I have modded my ecu so I can pull chip (to adjust map) without opening the ecu up but cannot get live data without the bit I am looking for. Any of you guys got one/seen one? Obviously if you have the box but not the leads not an issue as we can make the lead set no dramas.

DSCN0299_zpsa492faf2.jpg

thanks in advance

did yours come with the car? Have you opened your up inside, is it encased in resin so it cannot be copied/reverse engineered? If you dont find a use for yours please let me know(obviously would pay you for it). Also of course if anyone else has one or knows where one is please post here.

If anyone ever opens their ecu be very careful of the ribbon connecting the two halves of the ecu. This ribbon will have detoriated and you may have issues with communicating with the ecu or worst still a non functional ecu. It is an easy repair though. Desolder ribbon and change to pin headers of the correct pitch and then use wire jumpers between the two halves. I also soldered these into the headers

DSCN0293_zps723d40fd.jpg

[img width=800 height=600]http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac42/btlcameras/DSCN0297_zpsf2f1c569.jpg