Sign in to follow this  
Chris Bowden

1988 Eggenberger Texaco RS500

Hi Guys,

Ruedi's old #99269, the #1 Texaco car from the 1988 ETCC is for sale. The price might make your eyes water and one famous forum user will probably want to build a time machine, but I know one day it will seem cheap. Group A was a global series and the Texaco Sierra defines it. Check out www.ecurieinvestments.com.au go to "race cars" and scroll down to you see her. 

Cheers, Chris.

+61 438 269938 (AEST)

chris@ecurieinvestments.com.au 

I seem to recall a price being mentioned last year for the car that converted to around £175,000. The race 500s have increased since then generally.

I know Oakfields tried to buy it back a couple of years ago and went up to £125,000 and the previous owner would still not let it go having paid £75,000 to them and taken it down under.

At one point it dropped it to £45,000 on racecarsdirect but I understand Oakfilelds paid more than that.

Hello Guys,

Excuse my delay in replying. I don't always get the time to forum chat. Ian and Ian; My apologies, as I can see I have frustrated you a bit  :-[ .Most people I deal with, buyers and sellers, don't like prices bandied about. To prove my point, the prior prices paid here are now public knowledge, when they should have been just between Oakfields and my customer. A buyer may come to the conclusion that the prior price shown here and what is now being asked is too great, irrespective of what the asset is really worth. Interesting as it may be, I know I find it fascinating, it's no-ones business other than genuine parties.

That is why I supplied my email and phone number, as a genuine buyer would take the time to contact me direct. He or she may also like that what they paid is a private figure? For such a high profile car, I would.

As I said in the original message, it's LOTS, perhaps as much as what you would have paid for one direct from Ruedi (Imagine if you could buy a D type, or 250TR for what it cost originally.). But, IMHO, it is the best Gp A RS500 extant (It pains me to say that, as I think my family owns one that could take that title) it has been given a complete and comprehensive restoration since it was in the UK. I also know that it will be worth a lot more in the not so distant future. We have tried to buy it, but the owner is firm on his price and won't PX one of our 4 Gp A RS500's. Bugger  :(   

So guys, please call/email me if you want to do business, or just chat Gp A RS500 (I love all Gp A and Gp 2 cars). I don't know jack about the road cars sorry.

Cheers, Chris.

Chris, I will happily remove my post, but everything I mentioned in it was public knowledge already. I would never reveal any info I was provided with that was in confidence.

Us 500 owners and enthusiasts are a close knit bunch and closely follow any sales and related prices and have done for a long long time. The price increases in recent years have been good news for us all.

Any potential buyer who has done their homework would be well aware of how prices have risen significantly and they wont be heading back down again.

The highest price I mentioned was from a discussion on an Australian website, and in my opinion fully justified ( if not more) for such a iconic example :)

If a price or guide is not listed in an advert, the first thing people will do is ask around to see if anyone is aware of what it may be. The power of the internet I am afraid so this is now much easier to do, we are a global village.

I am glad I have not offended you Chris  :)

If Martin revealed what he actually paid for the car when he brought it back from Japan I think we would all have a little cry that we didn't beat him to it  ;), I have heard rumours, but good for him as he took a big risk on a then unknown car.

Many of us kick ourselves for not buying up the cars from his collection when he had a clear out a few years ago.

Chris you have some lovely cars there mate, one of the good things about this web site is the huge amount of knowledge, and information that we can all share, both on the road cars, and the race cars, rs500s are not just a metal cage with 4 wheels to us, they a passion/hobby whatever you want to call it, so we spend may hours searching the web for info on them,  im ok with info on road cars, but know very little about race cars, and love it when they pop up for sale, and information is shared, we are lucky to have all walks of life on here, race car owners, road cars owners, most of us that love rs500s already knew what kind of values the race cars were and now selling for, and again like paul s said, kick ourselves for not buying one not so many years ago when values were in some cases less than road cars.  Good on you, keep posting pics of the cars you got, cause we love pics. :)

Nearly £300k amazing when will these cars ever stop going up ......

Cheers Jim

When i told everyone 5 years ago what rs500 road and race cars will be worth ,most, thought i was mad , but i knew they would go mad and im quite sure we havent seen the last of the price rises just yet

great news for owners  ;)