Sign in to follow this  
martin johnston

WOLF SIERRA CHASSIE HWRT 1987 001

this is one of the cars i recently purchased from germany to restore

chassie 001/005

both cars have been confirmed by Uwe wolf to be original race cars used by them in 1987 season

and converted to rs500 in the workshops,

chassie 001 has now been painted back to diamond white and is now going to fitted back up once more

engine has been rebuilt and is full wolf spec inc mag sump and rs500 block,

post-896-144541722219_thumb.jpg

as you can see

the front bumper now sports a really nice carbon under body spliter/undertray

i re-fitted it as i like it,

but have a standard rs500 front bumper which i may swop for show ect,

chassie HWRT 1987 05 seen it the backgroud pre bodyshop!

thats got the front and rear beam /subframe powedercoated in black ready to fit and get rolling,

then its into bodyshop.

once both cars are finishd

i will proberly sell one and keep one

will be at silverstone classic atleast

hope to show at the rsowners club show @castle coombe as i know one of the organisers

we have in the last couple of years done charity rides,

be nice to do it an ex touring car, 

Sounds good look forward to seeing it out and about! Always remember seeing your texaco eggenberger at Combe years ago and at first walked straight past and thought no chance it can't be real, then noticed the centre locks. Awesome car.

If u do charity rides please put me at top of the list.:)

Do you have any pics from the 1987 season Martin? I do have one pic of the car with the obermann sponsoring on the Nordschleife but that must be in the 90s or something.

we will be painting it,

as the wurth sponcered 1987 car,

raced at silverstone by

Joachim Winkelhock (D)/Jeff Allam (GB)

with much research we beleive there was atleast three cars built by wolf which at one time or another had wurth sponcership on,

we know from them, that all 1987 cars were built as merkers and most convered again by them late 1987 to the rs500 spec,

in 1988 they built new cars from cosworth shells this time,

the 1988 wurth car was destroyed late in the season and then a new car with wurth sponcership was at the next round only two weeks later

hence the reason i say they had changed graphics on cars regulary when needed,

i have chassie 01 and 05 from 1987 and both cars  Uwe tells me they were both used and raced,

so we know they had atleast five 1987 cars built at wolf workshop,

and both my cars 01 and 05 where bought direct from wolf in 1990 so they kept them,

wolf sold two cars to australia in early 88 which ended up as cars used by tony longhurst, lhd b&h cars both known today,

wolf kept one car which they used at spa and is still in storage today,

plus a few more like the peanut slab car in australia and the ex barclay scottish car is rummered to be an ex wolf car,

like any race sierras these day with the cars and builders all getting older, history is getting harder to find with 100% clarity, 

the marlboro one is wolf built,

looks like an 1988 car with the new 1.7 bosch ecu

the wurth car crashed was cut up!

but they did the last three rounds of the season with another sierra in wurth colours

hence as i say they had more then one,

Martin

i would get somthing in writing about your cars saying the above as with all cars that rise in value here say means nothing and providonce is what values cars

You will find that the cars that bring the big bucks are the ones that the history isnt desputed  :)

Worth asking them to prove your cars were Wurth cars ?

Here are some more shots of the Marlboro Wolf that might help identify its build number

muzeum_lany_foto-025.jpg

muzeum_lany_foto-024.jpg

muzeum_lany_foto-023.jpg

muzeum_lany_foto-022.jpg

I also have lots of shots of Wolf Xr4 ti if you want to try and find your cars origins and quite a few in Wurth colours.

Period autosports are a good way to establish chassis history as they often listed the build numbers in the race.

reports.

I believe Oakfields offer a history finding service via Ian Sutcliffe, they have a full catalogue of Autosports and mountains of other period articles.

I also have lots of shots of Wolf Xr4 ti if you want to try and find your cars origins and quite a few in Wurth colours.

Period autosports are a good way to establish chassis history as they often listed the build numbers in the race.

reports.

I believe Oakfields offer a history finding service via Ian Sutcliffe, they have a full catalogue of Autosports and mountains of other period articles.

It seems very hard to trace the exact history of these race cars. Even some of the original builders can't seem to remember where the cars went and how many we're built by the looks.

Why does the wolf car in the picture in the museum have a turbo restrictor? Were the etcc cars restricted?

Martin

1, this website is busting at the seams with people who only want to help each other ,

2, Oakfields employ a historian who knows a massive amount of info on just about any race car that has ever hit a race track

I like Paul S think contacting them is always worth while as you just never know what Ian knows

I get many many calls every week regards Road and race car rs500s from people who want to know this and that

I would say i amongst others have a massive amount of knowlage regards these cars but im always willing to take help from anyone who may know somthing i dont

Maybee you arnt quite understanding of this website yet and havent realised that we are all here for the same thing and only want to help , Martin this isnt passionford , lol

My reply regards getting a written providance again was only a helpful idea as it adds value and credability

Martin we all got lot of respect for each other on here mate, i know as a road rs500 car owner, i can only ever dream of owning a race car, you have been very lucky to own many race cars, and can assure you there plenty of respect etc out there for you, and the cars.

I guess and hope it was just the words came across in a different tone on here as they would have been if you were talking face to face.

At end of the day we all live and breath rs500s, in these horrible weather months we love to see pics of the cars, even more so the race cars, and have bit of banter.

I had a long chat with you at Silvertsone Classic on the Saturday aftrenoon in the pits, which I really enjoyed and found really interesting.

Feel the love, I have never posted on rsoc or passionford etc, can't believe some of the stuff that gets written on there, this is the only web site I would give time of the day too, and again as a road car owner, just find all the info re race cars as well as pics just so interesting, and can't wait to get on here as soon as I get up in morning, and again when I get it from work.

Look forward to more updates and pics from you.

cheers Paul.

Martin why don't you do what these Cars were built for RACE THEM instead of worrying about what waters is in the windscreen washer bottle in 1988.....

I have raceed cars all over the world for 30 years we used to run any parts we could find in the pit lane you don't really give a toss what parts are on them as long as you can get to the end of the race that is what racing cars is all about.....

I would say that about 80% of racecars never end up with the original parts that they left the factory with at the end of a race series

If I was you I would stop worrying so much about what is what and just get the things finished and race them aninstead of parking them at a race track and looking at them and talking about what someone else done with them 25 years ago

At the end of the day they are Ford sierras they're not Ferrari 250 GTO ......

Martin if you have not being to the Goodwood revival You should go and look at what people do with these old cars That's worth $40 million ..........

When I first put the information up regarding my car everyone was pleased for me but all you done was slag my car off saying It was very rough before the restoration and had very sketchy history........

Tell you what Martin I've never met you but you really know how to make friends.......

sorry if i come seam like that, dont mean to,

jim  i did see your car in 2005 when the first owner had it, hence my comment which was pre your ownership,

i invited him to donnington and he came along with many other rs500 touring cars

he was a nice unough chap, this is quite a few years before Oakfields bought it,

its had a lot of work done to it since and looks 100% better for it,

history to me is still important and i like to know which car i do have,

i know it not always possible as so many have been changed over the years,

as for racing only been doing it for 12 years so still new to the game

anyway anyone else whot to have a pop at me feel free

anyway back to the race cars

hope to have atleast one of the wolf cars racing at this years silverstone classic

i think the my 500s we can get out there the better

martin 

Martin, is the white one you just finished painting the good shell, i remember when you brought the 2 you said one fine, one needs bit work, so you working on the good one 1st??

the one i have just painted

was the blue car, very tidy on the outside but was a bit ruff inside and engine bay needed tidying

so we painted it inside and out,

made sense to do it now while the engine is out,

the other shell needs more work, as it has a small amount of period race damage,

also needs a full rollcage as the original one still fitted is aliminuim,

once done will still make a nice car,

just had the rear beam and front cross member painted so hope to get it rolling again,

first time since 1990