Sign in to follow this  
RS 500 Registrar

Mike Newmans Listerine BTCC car

What a car Paul!!!! looks like he needs to bring it out to blow away dust and cobwebs...

Im in two minds over this, great that its being preserved, but for what??

Such a shame its hidden away in the dark under a cover..  :'(

Yes it would be great to see it back out but I bet it needs quite a bit of work... I don't know about the roll cage the fire extinguisher the fuel cell the seat and harnesse things like that.... Paul L would know more as he has seen the car......

Buy yes it would be great to see it at Silverstone classic.......

Cheers Jim

Doubt we would get to see it out on track Jim, no offence to the owners of the owners of the brock & johnson rs500s, as they mega cars, but if the listerine car was out, I bet it would just be parked up.  :'(

So what was the deal back then with regards to the drivers and who they drove for, for example Mike Newman, drove a Listerine Graham Goode car, not a factory team, so was Mike working for Graham Goode, or was Mike pretty much a paying customer for the car? sorry if silly question, just interested, and I think its great that Mike kept his race cars.  ;D

That's what so great about this site everyone can add and share all there 500 experiences, mike was a private entrance Paul .not sure how much in put Listerine had .I no Sean walker used to hire his off Goode . Remember talking to a bloke back then called ken bowker ,BMW franchise and haulage.he had a m3 prepared at the time .and he packed it in he was told to off his vat man .he is not short of a few quid .so it must a cost big money back then.

Cool cheers Mark, a proper race rs500 car back in then must have cost a fair amount.. from what I have seen in the DVDs "Mike Smith" caused quite a few accidents, bet he was not the most popular guy in the pits.. due to repair costs..

Yes mike smith would get in a few tangles .as Paul L is finding out with the djr,car , its great looking round mikes car because its never been touched since the day it finished touring cars .still got scrutinering stickers on back windows .and some decals are hand painted not stickers amazing .sure everyone will see it soon

just remembering a few other costs in those days .I was in the pits watching qualify times and tyres were flying off .Mike told me they were a grand a set . Thought about putting my prices up as I was working on his house at the time lol .and for the season costs for him and graham would get to 750:000 hell of a lot of money even today