Sign in to follow this  
RS 500 Registrar

DJR2

Well im happy to say that the missing number 2 Dick johnson car has been found and is at this time undergoing a full bare shell restoration

The owner of the car  has trusted me with this very special job ,

Sadly i have no pictures of the car other than after the shell was taken to be dipped and coated to remove all sealer / old paint etc

djr2progress001.jpg

djr2progress002.jpg

djr2progress003.jpg

djr2progress007.jpg

I'm sure the car that dick Johnstone drove at silverstone tourist trophy was djr1 andy lloyds car. It was left here after the race, trakstar purchased it and it was driven in 89 by robb gravett. Djr2 was also shipped over for 89 with mike smith being the driver.

Evenin gentlemen,

The 1988 Silverstone TT car driven by Dick and John Bowe was DJR3, it was airfreighted back to Australia for Bathurst to join the other new build car DJR4 and DJR1 which was rented out to Smith and Costanzo to drive, after a couple of hours both DJR 3 and 4 had retired and Dick and JB took over DJR1 which you could do in those days and ended up coming 2nd behind the B&H sierra

Andy

Evening lee and andy thanks for the 1st reply and thanks andy for your reply, been meaning to ask on here that question for ages! Also so sorry about the car andy duno what to say really but there racecars at the end of the day although in my eyes yours is the most famous ford racecar and overall racecar out there! From what people have said you took it really well and thats a credit to you if i scratch my car im crying and its worth nothink compared to yours just glad your gona repair it! Hope to see it redone asap, many thanks jay :)

I think we need a family tree doing for each car

Tony Ryan and i were talking on tuesday about cars history and how they changed drivers / owners etc and its hard to keep track

Ill get the ball rolling after silverstone

Andy knows everything about the DJR cars so im sure he will fill in the blanks

:)

Hi Paul,

Just thinking; one of my fave liveried cars never actually raced - Sean Walker's Trakstar customer car for '91 in restricted form only used in practice or qualifying at Snetterton -

Shell3dr.jpg

Reading Mike Smith's comments on 10/10ths sheds a little light on this livery being used to court Shell for that season IIRC. But he never actually states which chassis it is. He said RG drove DJR1 in '90 - and I wondered if this car in it's restricted guise was DJR 2??

Any thoughts; I'd love to know. And.. how's things coming along with DJR 2?

Cheers

Iain

Good picture that, havnt seen that before.It's most likely to have been one of the 1990 cars, or maybe mikes 1990 car is djr2 or I assumed new build like robvs car. What happens to the 1990 btcc car is a bit of a mystery and it seems to have disappeared, which is a Shame, hopefully it's hidden away some where and not turned into a rallycross car as romoured.

Pretty sure thats the Rob Gravetts new build car rather than a DJR. The Smith car that last year of racing was DJR2 but they didnt have the money to run it much.

I still reckon Mike has the car in the pic stashed away.

Cool thanks for clearing that up Paul! It's confusing what happens to some of these cars but very interesting. Fingers crossed the 1990 robb gravett car is complete and return one day! Iv heard romours it was sold to a rally crosser on one forum hope that isn't true! Iv got a good article on trakstar in an old fast car I will scan it and post it on here when I get a chance. It shows 2 new shells in the pics and one of the djr cars.

Given this car for Sean was for 91, it's safe to assume that it would have been an existing Trakstar car; so does it seem the consenus then that it was RG's from 90, rather than a DJR? It was Mike Smith I was quoting when I said RG used DJR1 in 1990..

Mike is famously vague about whether he has one stashed away, which only fuels the fire!

Cheers,

Iain

Thanks Paul.

My belief Lee, was that they were restricted turbos, rather than NA, but I might be wrong on that.

The Cossies got dropped like a hot potato when the regs changed in the UK, but as we've seen kept on going strong in their intended form elsewhere in the World.

Paul, has the owner of DJR2 settled on a livery when completed?

Cheers

Iain

Thanks Paul.

My belief Lee, was that they were restricted turbos, rather than NA, but I might be wrong on that.

The Cossies got dropped like a hot potato when the regs changed in the UK, but as we've seen kept on going strong in their intended form elsewhere in the World.

Paul, has the owner of DJR2 settled on a livery when completed?

Cheers

Iain

They were 100% N/A Ian , not restricted turbo

Regads DJR2 , defo the Shell colours same as DJR 1

So here's my take on the story of DJR#2. I take no responsibility for the accuracy of this information, as it's been gleamed from many different documents, photos, books, magazine as and video footage.

Once again, if the owner wants any of this removed, just let me know.

CAR DETAILS

CHASSIS NUMBER : DJR#2

CURRENT OWNER : Ian Goff

CURRENT LOCATION: UK

PREVIOUS OWNERS : DJR, Trakstar Racing

NOTES :

1987: Built from a shell sourced from Europe as a LHD car to RS Cosworth specifications. Raced in 9 rounds of the ATCC by Gregg Hansford as #18, in red Shell Ultra Hi/Palmer Tubetek livery.

Round 1: Calder Park 01/03/87 – Qualified 8th, Finished DNF

Round 2: Symmons Plains Raceway 08/03/87 – Qualified 11th, Finished 6th

Round 3: Lakeside Raceway 05/04/87 – Qualified 9th, Finished DNF

Round 4: Wanneroo Park 26/04/87 – Qualified 9th, Finished 5th

Round 5: Adelaide Int. Raceway 03/05/87 – Qualified 10th, Finished DNF

Round 6: Surfers Paradise Int. Raceway 31/05/87 – Qualified 12th, Finished DNF

Round 7: Sandown Park 07/06/87 – Qualified 10th, Finished DNF

Round 8: Amaroo Park Raceway 21/06/87 – Qualified 12th, Finished 8th

Round 9: Oran Park Raceway 05/07/87 – Qualified 15th, Finished DNF

Australian Touring Car Championship result: 10th

The car was then converted to RS500 specifications for the Endurance Series.

Sandown Park (Castrol 500) 13/09/87 – Driven by Neville Crichton, Dick Johnson & Gregg Hansford, qualified 13th but DNF’d.

Mount Panorama (Bathurst 1000) WTCC 04/10/87 – Driven by Charlie O’Brien & Neville Crichton, qualified 10th but only lasted 2 laps before being involved in an accident.

Calder Park Raceway (Calder 500) WTCC 11/10/87 – Driven by Neville Crichton, Charlie O’Brien & Dick Johnson, qualified 12th and finished 13th.

Wellington Street Circuit (Wellington 500) WTCC 26/10/87 –  For this race the car ran in the red DDB Needham livery. Driven by Neville Crichton & Neal Lowe, qualified 16th, but DNF’d.

1988: The car was retained by DJR to be used as a spare and promotional car for the entire year.

1989: The car was sold to Trakstar Racing and sent to the UK in early March.  It was converted to RHD, which appears to have been done by DJR prior to shipping, but hasn’t been confirmed. It raced in 13 rounds of the BTCC as #20, in red /white Cartel/NEC livery. Mike Smith drove in all rounds except for round 9, when Will Hoy replaced him after a recent operation.

Round 1: Oulton Park 24/03/89 – Qualified 12th, Finished 7th

Round 2: Silverstone Circuit 09/04/89 – Qualified 11th, Finished 10th

Round 3: Thruxton Circuit 01/05/89 – Qualified 15th, Finished 10th

Round 4: Donington Park 07/05/89 (One hour endurance race) Driven by Mike Smith & Mike Wilds. Qualified 11th but DNF’d.

Round 5: Thruxton Circuit 29/05/89 – Qualified 12th, Finished 5th.

Round 6: Silverstone Circuit 04/06/89 – Qualified 8th, Finished 4th

Round 7: Silverstone Circuit 16/07/89 – Qualified 9th, Finished 10th

Round 8: Brands Hatch 23/07/89 – Qualified 4th, Finished 3rd

Round 9: Snetterton Circuit 06/08/89 – Qualified 8th, Finished 4th

Round 10: Brands Hatch 20/08/89 – Qualified 6th, Finished DNF

Round 11: Birmingham Superprix 28/08/89 – Qualified 10th, Finished DNF

Round 12: Donington Park 17/09/89 – Qualified 18th, Finished 9th

Round 13: Silverstone Circuit 08/10/89 – Qualified 5th, Finished 7th

British Touring Car Championship Result: 25th

1990: It appears as though the car only competed in three rounds of the BTCC, once again driven by Mike Smith, but as #12 in a plain red/white livery in round 1, and in a plain white Ford Credit livery for rounds 6 & 13.

Round 1: Oulton Park 13/04/90 – Finished DNF

Round 6: Silverstone Circuit 15/07/90 – Qualified 8th, Finished 6th

Round 13: Silverstone Circuit 07/10/90 – Qualified 8th, Finished 5th.

From here the history of the car is unknown, but at some stage it appears to have been modified for rallying.

2012: The car re-emerges from the wilderness, and is currently being restored to Group A specification and the DJR/Shell Ultra Hi livery.

The 90 car could still be n/a then if it has survived.

Djr2 will be awesome back in it's shell livery.

God, wouldn't it be great to find that car? Hands up all those who think MS still has it, heh heh!

I wonder if when Trakstar was wound up it had to disappear, or if he just fancied keeping it to himself. MS enjoyed his racing, and with more and more RS500's appearing on the race tracks I'm surprised he can keep away if he's still got one..

Every morning when I see my white 3dr I get an urge to sticker it up like the Sean Walker car. I can't see me lasting v long...

I wonder how many other Touring Car Sierra's are still unaccounted for?

Mind you, give it another 10-20 years, and there'll probably be more circulating than ever got built originally..

Cheers

Iain

Just re-reading 10/10ths again. Mike Smith definitely relates the 91 car as a restricted turbo..

RG had DJR1 - but this had to be reshelled after the Dowsett Corolla incident at Thruxton.

I drove DJR2. However, this turned out to have some dodgy suspension components, which chose lovely moments to let go. A rear arm split in 2 at Brands Hatch - just going through Hawthorns at about 150mph. And a front hub carrier let go at exactly the same place later.

Both components appeared to aged and "repaired" by DJR.

I remember all the ridiculous fuss about the Yokos. It reached a peak when our TM Malcolm Swetnam (now with Raikonen Robertson Racing) decided to put just 4 tyres on the grid at Snetterton. "if they're so good, they can win the race on their own." Very funny.

Bear in mind that all Touring Cars were badly affected by the FIA decision to ban 10" wide tyres in 87. So tyre development for 88 onwards became pricey. Putting 500bhp+ through a 9" tyre would always be a challenge for the RS500. Yoko did a great job and produced tyres on demand for us as the seasons developed.

Our speed was down to a good basic build, excellent engine work from Mountune and very good set-up driving by RG. The shells were as rigid as could be and most components were Ford Grp A off-the-shelf. We definitely had a traction advantage in the simplest way - welded diffs.

Where we simply couldn't live with Andy R was on the power circuits like Silverstone - he was running way more power than us or any of his customers. In July 89 we found out why, when a crate of Garrett turbos destined for AR were delivered by mistake to us. We saw that they all had identical welded-up slots in the worm. They had been cut into, scooped out and then welded-up. We sent them back - but informed the scrutineers. Sure enough, Andy's car got sealed at Silverstone GP and by Brands Hatch 2 weeks later he had lost his points. But he appealed and won - because he claimed that the FIA Yearbook rules in French permitted repairs (whereas the English didn't). Clever bugger. He was ruled correct by the FIA. There was no way that these slots were repairs - and I'm afraid that's when I realised what we were up against.

Sean Walker - yes we did try running a "restricted" turbo for him as a customer - but he gave up because the restrictor was crippling the car.

Another ridiculous thing: RACMSA had assured us in 89 & 90 that RS500s were safe until they had the backing of at least 6 manufacturers for their proposed 2-litre championship.

That turned out to be a lie. They in fact went ahead with only 2 manufacturers. The main one being GM, who had them over a barrel. GM threatened to pull out completely if they didn't get "their" 2-litre series.

And just to rub salt into the wound, RACMSA wiped the RS500 from the championship with the ridiculous restrictor.

GM v Ford. Life doesn't change!"

And a bit further writes specifically on the Sean Walker car;

So at the start of 91 Shell encouraged us to get some sort of a deal with Ford. We were approached by a designer who said he could make the Sapphire work. We took him on and had enough funding to build and run one car. Sean Walker asked us to supply him with a drive - hence the restricted RS500. That's what he wanted."

Sorry to take the thread away from DJR2. We have at least clarified that the 91 car was a new build, and not DJR2. And perhaps the new regs allowed a restricted turbo to race..?

Cheers

Iain