Sign in to follow this  
3drRich

Bbs e50 centre lock help 3dr

I've got a genuine set of ex touring car Bbs e50 centre lock split rims that I've just had refurbed and I've fitted them on the car tonight (without tyres at the minute) and the wheels look like there inline with the arch which mean they look to wide ???? I'm running 7.5". Barrels on the rear and 7" on the front with 1" outer lips all round, the back will go with arch modes but front looks really tight. 

It's almost like the adaptors (mk) are pushing the wheel out to far but obviously the adaptors have to be like that and the wheels are what they are??? The only thing I can think at the minute is to put the front down to a half inch outer but even then not sure it will go. 

Has anyone had any experience with this setup????

A few people in the past have machined down the hub faces on the wheels to compensate for the depth of the adapters along with the 7" inner barrels on the fronts.

What ARB are you running? a H13 will give you a bit more front to back room as well but its always been a struggle using these wheels on a road car without much arch work

Which type wheel do you have? the lightweights with the hollow centres or the solid centre ones

16 minutes ago, PAUL S said:

A few people in the past have machined down the hub faces on the wheels to compensate for the depth of the adapters along with the 7" inner barrels on the fronts.

What ARB are you running? a H13 will give you a bit more front to back room as well but its always been a struggle using these wheels on a road car without much arch work

Which type wheel do you have? the lightweights with the hollow centres or the solid centre ones

Hi Paul I have the magnesium hollow centred ones which I've looked into and don't feel I can machine anything off the back really, the arb is a h13 also so front to backs ok it's just the adaptors pushing it out that half an inch is the issue. 

I think I can get the rears ok as I'm happy to mod the arch but the front is in line with the arch so I think a half inch outer on the front is the only option really. 

The problem with half inch outers is that the centre then sticks out further than the tyre and it can look a bit odd.

I am not a fan of the alloy adapters really, I had mine modified as the indent at the back to allow the existing hub to fit into it really eats into the alloy so there is only a small ring in cross section holding the central threaded part to it. I had my original hub centres machined back to allow more alloy to be retained.

I have yet to hear of any fail, but didn't want to be the first to find out!

The only real solution is a set of centre lock hubs from Mark but then you need every thing else to go with them which wont be cheap.

I never fitted mine in the end, love the wheels and quite a few people run them on  road car so it can be done.

It might be worth you contacting Aly in Scotland on here, he has loads of these wheels and may want to swap a machined down pair for an untouched pair for his race cars.

9 hours ago, PAUL S said:

The problem with half inch outers is that the centre then sticks out further than the tyre and it can look a bit odd.

I am not a fan of the alloy adapters really, I had mine modified as the indent at the back to allow the existing hub to fit into it really eats into the alloy so there is only a small ring in cross section holding the central threaded part to it. I had my original hub centres machined back to allow more alloy to be retained.

I have yet to hear of any fail, but didn't want to be the first to find out!

The only real solution is a set of centre lock hubs from Mark but then you need every thing else to go with them which wont be cheap.

I never fitted mine in the end, love the wheels and quite a few people run them on  road car so it can be done.

It might be worth you contacting Aly in Scotland on here, he has loads of these wheels and may want to swap a machined down pair for an untouched pair for his race cars.

Hi Paul thanks for your help, I love these wheels to but I can see why people don't bother now lol. I have been in contact with Mark and he's taken the time to help me with some half inch outers so that's what I'm going with at the minute but I know what your saying about the inners sticking out. Would that be Aly with the genuine and replica ICS cars?? What's his actual user name on here Paul? Also when you say he might have some that are machine down what do you mean, the centres?? 

Yes that's the guy, not seen him post for a while, for the life of me I cannot remember his user name.

I am pretty sure he bought a set from a road car that had a good few mm removed from the back face of the wheel centre to bring it further under the arches, once that is done they are no use really on a group A race car.

I've just mocked up a wheel on 0.5" and I don't think I like the way that it looks as Paul S mentioned, it totally changes the look of the wheels. This is driving me nuts now plus what ever outers I go with really I would need to run the same on all 4 corners and trying to find them is not going to be easy.  

They look best with 1 inch fronts and 1.5 inch rears, have you thought of selling your genuine centres to a racer and then buying a new set of repro centres machined to suit your needs?

edit

Aly is Superaly on here :-) 

18 hours ago, PAUL S said:

They look best with 1 inch fronts and 1.5 inch rears, have you thought of selling your genuine centres to a racer and then buying a new set of repro centres machined to suit your needs?

edit

Aly is Superaly on here :-) 

Thanks Pual. Regards selling mine and getting some repro ones done and Machining them down seems to be an issue also as there's only 1 person that might be able to do it. 

9 hours ago, RS 500 Registrar said:

I think zeros look good

most of the gen cars ran a zero

IMG_3260.JPG

DSCF9557_zps8e1513ec.jpg

18893355_10154403830346207_2150264531410355812_n.jpg

Ah ok I didn't know that and they look pretty good, thanks for the pics Paul just gotta find some now. 

my ics car runs zero front and 0.5 rears, but on eggenberger hubs

you need to machine the centres to run on a road car with adaptors to give the proper offset look

in effect making the wheels useless for anything else  

COS11.jpg

17 hours ago, superaly said:

my ics car runs zero front and 0.5 rears, but on eggenberger hubs

you need to machine the centres to run on a road car with adaptors to give the proper offset look

in effect making the wheels useless for anything else  

COS11.jpg

I wanted inch outers on mine which made it more difficult but I did what you've just said and had the backs machined off the wheels, couldn't machine the genuine mag ones apparently so bought one of Marks sets in the end and he machined them down for me. :)

Is that pic one of yours Aly? They mag e50s on it??