Sign in to follow this  
Jerry Mahony

Motorsport Magazine

Hi Guys

Just thought I would let you know that the May edition of Motorsport has an interview with Steve Soper and Andy Rouse, 4 page spread celebrating 30 years of RS500. They also have Texaco cars on the front cover.

Rightly they have decided that the RS500 is the best racing car ever (I've been saying that for 30 years)! 

Get yourself down to the newsagent and get a copy, its a keeper.

Here's a bit of a teaser for you that cropped up recently, how many drivers won a BTCC race in an RS500, I got it wrong, and lost money on the wager! See how many of you get it right, oh and I want names please. Answers on a post.................please!

Jerry

Afternoon Jerry,

I will go for 11 different driver's winning in the BTCC in a 500.

ROUSE

HALL

SOPER

MAHONEY

BRANCATELLI

SEARS

HARVEY

GRAVETT

BRISTOW

NEEDELL

SMITH

Andy

Edited by racer
forgot to add the names

Well done Andy you got 10 but there are 11, not quite full points, but I am deducting a point for putting an 'e' in my name !  Pete Hall won a race in 87 in a Cosworth not RS 500.

Who can come up with the last name?

I originally got 10, I forgot about Tiff Needell.

Ford credits me with the first win in an RS500 in the BTCC, but Grahame Goode claims the first win in an RS500 from the season before at Donington, he did win but it was a Cosworth. 

Jerry

Evenin Jerry with no "e",

I thought Pete Hall won the final round in 1987, I would of thought the car would have been a 500 by then, am I thinking of another year ?

Andy

Edited by racer
"e"

Jerry,

Didn't Mike and Robb win the 1990 Brands 2 driver race in the white car ?

I chatted with Robb at the Goodwood 75MM, he was out in the Brooklyn car.

You got it, Robb won Brands with Smithy.

Pete Halls 87 car was converted to RS500 spec over the winter of 87/88. I nearly bought it off him to do the last round of 87 and it was Pete Hall who talked me into doing Group A for 88. I had already had a run in a Holden Commodore in the 87 TT at Silverstone, with two grumpy Belgians, remember it was a round of the WTCC then.

Robb went on to drive Pete Halls car in a few rounds of the 88 championship after Pete had frightened himself at the wet Oulton race in 88! I'm not kidding, he gave up after that.

Jerry

And that particular car from Pete Hall went to Peter Brock as the second of the Mobil Sierra's in 89.